1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous going back

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Dec 31, 2016.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Hopefully you have that in writing!

OK I haven't not thought about work at all, but have only worked on about 4 of the 19 (I think) days.
    And that will mean I don't have to do much this coming week.
    But like you, I have bits I ought to do, but am leaving for PPA time on Thurs and Fri...hopefully there is no cover. :confused:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. PRICHIE75

PRICHIE75 New commenter

Feeling the dread a lot of people are expressing. Mine is linked to a colleague who has more experience in the phase that I haved moved into. Had always got on well before, but I'm being ignored and marginalised. Subtle form of drip, drip bullying where I am constantly met with sighs, eye rolls or just being blanked entirely. No willingness to share ideas, resources or offer encouragement, and any of my suggestions dismissed outright. Like the colleague earlier, think this is borne of insecurity rather than arrogance.

3. GeorgiAlz

GeorgiAlz New commenter

I'm nervous as I am starting a new school after I almost decided to leave the profession in my first proper year. I am sure nerves bite at even the most confident of people - perhaps even West End performers. I like to imagine that this is true, considering we are performing all day, every day anyway! Best of luck to everyone in the new year.

thekillers and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I don't 'like' per se but am offering my sympathies :(....

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  5. PRICHIE75

PRICHIE75 New commenter

Thanks sabrinakat. Have tried 'the killing with kindness' but was utterly drained by the end of term. It's amazing how toxic people can suck so much enthusiasm out of you.

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I recently watched a documentary about Adele. It said that she suffered from terrible nerves before each performance and always doubts her abilities.

I'm a HT and I worry all the time which does not do me any good at all. Although I feel confident in my ability I worry about situations and their outcomes even before they have happened.

thekillers and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Amen.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think I have a training day tomorrow (I'm not 100 % sure) so I'm going in anyway. I haven't done all the marking I intended to do but I've had a good break and am well rested.

Did a few end of term things today - my wife has also been on holiday up to now (she's not a teacher though) so we went grocery shopping this morning and sorted our meals out for the rest of the week. I also posted off a couple of things that needed sending and sorted out some stationary to take back to re-stock my supplies.

I like my current place - there is pressure - but not too much and I feel more appreciated there than I have anywhere else.

....and soon the cold dark mornings will end (well....fairly soon) and I can comute by bike and train once a week.

Good luck for the new term everybody !

9. greg_neumann

greg_neumann New commenter

Well, I'm nervous even though I haven't been in a classroom for 6 ½ years - but have registered with a couple of Agencies for long term supply work and have just been 'cleared' for positions.

Seriously beginning to regret it - feels much more than cold feet - with all the memories of lost weekends and non-existent half-term 'breaks'. It woke me up early again this morning.

To such an extent, that I am going to apply for standard Office job to keep my options open. It's one hell of a bad situation where a qualified teacher (physics), who left in 2010, would go back to former careers at much less pay in order to get a true 40 hour week AND honoured holidays - even though they are, of course, much less for normal employees.

So - nervous? Yes, very. Being out of teaching for 6 years did give me my mind back. Not really looking forward to any Agency call - and, I think, I am quietly hoping that I land a standard Analysis job before a Supply job becomes available.

This is not right. I feel for all of my former colleagues as you return to the trenches....

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

It makes you think when even such an obviously talented performer like Adele gets nervous before performing!

Of course, a certain degree of 'stress' motivates us. These days (and in teaching/schools all the more so) there is often too much though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I was dreading going back, and sadly it turned out to be well founded dread. The department have pretty much closed ranks and I have been well and truly excluded- this goes as far as having secret meetings in the office and barricading the door! They've beaten me. One day in to term and they've already beaten me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

i was a teacher for more than 30 years and I felt nervous every time I went into the classroom - and especially when I met my students for the first time, but once you are there and thinking about what you are doing, and in the midst of it, with hands waving around you, it's amazing how the nerves disappear as usual. Good luck. Now retired I'll say: "I'll be thinking of you all."

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Come on, they've only beaten you if you let them.

I know that sounds easy and I'm well aware that it isn't. However if you throw in the towel now. . . . You might have to start a counter-action, asking for info and ensuring you have a paper trail to show what's happening.
    Whilst realistically planning an exit strategy of course. ;)

MrsArmitage likes this.
  14. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Wise words! I need to hear them from time to time as this has been bubbling for several years, but seems now to be almost official department policy. It all started last academic year with them having department meetings without me. I'm going to go and iron my 'brave face' ready for tomorrow!

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We're here to hear the rants afterwards. It isn't going to be either easy or pleasant, but you keep up that 'brace face' for School. [​IMG]

MrsArmitage likes this.