1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous going back

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Dec 31, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Anyone else feeling this?

2. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Most teachers feel nervous going back after a longer holiday. Your brain starts to remind you of those unmarked books, lessons that need sorted, issues or problems at the end of term that were not resolved or even if you'll be able to get your class(es) back on track.

I imagine most people are in the same boat. Enjoy the past few days and remember that there is around 130 school days until the summer break.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree most people always feel a tad nervous going back after a holiday. One has got out of the routine and nowadays one is only too well aware of all the 'expectations/targets' to be hit before the next break.
    Not that you've counted or anything @brighton56 ;) !

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not nervous about going back...just about having to get up at ridiculous o'clock and having no afternoon nap.
    Looking forward to the new term and all the many events and excitements that are to come.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Nervous? Yes.

Probably moreso on supply as we don't know what we'll face...or even if we'll have work.

6. install

install Star commenter

Nervous - no. Teaching is just a job - no more and no less.

Happy about here and now though ...the present and living in it.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not sure if it's nerves or a very natural dread of having to get up early, battle through traffic, be nice, be patient, be on top of your game.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

A wee bit nervous but it's more due to a very annoying colleague, who is very aggressive (not just towards me and she's 'new') ....she ended the term giving out to me about something one of my form did after the Christmas Carol service with parents and students around. I said that it wasn't the appropriate time, etc. I can't be sure whether she is very insecure or arrogant :(.

I think I shall kill with kindness and get all 'zen' but it's annoying! As for school and work itself? No issues, I passed my probation and am now permanent :D

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hurrah for @sabrinakat Permanent.

That woman? Could be both. Insecure and arrogant. Not very nice. Not very diplomatic. Not very courteous. Those 3 things are for certain sure.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I was really pleased to see this thread - I'm feeling apprehensive about going back! I didn't think I would switch off and relax as much as I have. I've been away for a few days to a cottage, where I read two books, played games with the kids, had ridiculously long lie-ins and enjoyed far too much good food and wine. I feel so out of touch with my usual routine I may not be able to do it again! Perhaps I could ask my HT if I could just do afternoons only when i go back.......

11. caterpillartobutterfly

I was thinking about doing that.
    For the same wage of course.
    And keeping the non-contact periods that happen in the afternoon.
    Hmmm think it might not be worth the effort of asking.;)

12. MrsBee4812

MrsBee4812 New commenter

This is the first year that I haven't got that heavy, sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought of going back and have actually relaxed over the Christmas break. I start my new school on Tuesday, a tad nervous as it's a completely different role but excited for the challenge ☺️ Even though it's difficult to think that way sometimes, I love @install's way of thinking, it IS just a job. ☺️

13. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Think everyone feels the dread of returning back after a holiday. I am dreading getting into my work clothes more considering my 5 a day has consisted of Terry's chocolate orange, Strawberry creams, orange creams, jaffa cakes and fruit cake.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I just read an article about becoming a Lark; ie a morning person rather than an evening owl. I thought it might help in preparation for getting back to work tomorrow.

Apparently we should avoid coffee in the mornings and have a glass of water instead. :eek::eek::eek:
    Would some of you try that tomorrow morning and let me know how well it works please?

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Although 'Joe Public' often has to work Christmas and the default day for returning for Joe Public is Jan 2nd many years, many schools return on the 3rd. This is about as early as it gets. It feels like you've barely finished 'Auld Lang Syne' compared to years one goes back later!

However, now non teaching, not having to worry about planning/marking is a massive bonus as I remember one year spending most of Jan 2nd marking for a 'Mocksted' book trawl on the 3rd!

The paradoxical thing is everyone will be smiles etc on the first day back but most people will have a certain degree of dread, poor sleep the night before etc. It is where this continues all the time that it is time to do something about it (medication, change job ultimately?)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Were talking about this yesterday with one of my d-i-l who commutes to London getting up at 5:30 and says she does this.

My mother also used to do it, but as I later realised that was because of the dementia she's forgotten one was supposed to put a tea bag / coffee in!;) However she's still here at 88 and a good 12 years into the dementia. Put your own interpretation on whether it 'works'! :p

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  17. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If you've got to the Christmas holidays, the worst of the year is already behind you.

Next thing to do is get out the school calendar and calculate "break-even point" - the date on which, between then and September, you will have more days out of school than in.

You'll be surprised how close it is and how (comparatively) easily you can get to it.

And then, of course, put your shift in on the in-work days.

Anonymity likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D I get up at 5.30 for my commute as well...maybe I'll try it.

I don't yet have dementia, but have been know to open my flask on the train and find it is hot water and milk and I've forgotten the coffee. I also nabbed a free coffee from Waitrose once and wandered round the shop sipping as I went. Only when I gave a mouthful to someone else did they comment the coffee itself appeared to be missing!
    Actually maybe a glass of water might be better...so long as the loos on the train are clean and working!:oops:

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. NLF2014

NLF2014 New commenter

I'm a nervous wreck already. I've been ill all of Christmas and still on antibiotics. Expecting the Big O this half-term and I've been trying to prepare for the dreaded interview but I've realised I'm not ready and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. It was a really rough first term for me. I'd moved schools and have found the change in culture really difficult. I'm even wondering if I want to be a teacher anymore. I've always had some low points in my teaching career but there's always been that spark there. Now the spark is gone. If I could just rewind and erase ever have even applying for this job I really wish I could.

20. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Am feeling full of dread about tomorrow. Have brought books home for marking, and basically, they have had a holiday at my house. No sign of a green pen anywhere. The entire school was told at the end of term to go home and not think about work. Fat chance! However, unexpected time spent peaceably with my teenage daughters has totally been worth the unmarked books and bollocking that will inevitably occur for not thinking about work.