1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous for GTP start...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by primary213, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hello everybody,

I recently attended a full day interview and then a formal interview for a GTP programme in Buckinghamshire. They rang me back on Friday and I got a place!!!!

I am extremely happy about this but after reading some of the forum posts I am feeling slightly nervous.

I understand that on the GTP you are thrown in the deep end but I am just wondering just how much work is involved and whether anyone that has previously undertaken a GTP has any tips?

My boyfriend lives in Manchester and I live down south and I know that I am going to struggle to make time to see him during the year because I am going to be up to my eyeballs with marking and planning.

Therefore, if anyone has any tips that could help me prepare in advance for the Sept start I would be extremely grateful.

2. Hello everybody,

I recently attended a full day interview and then a formal interview for a GTP programme in Buckinghamshire. They rang me back on Friday and I got a place!!!!

I am extremely happy about this but after reading some of the forum posts I am feeling slightly nervous.

I understand that on the GTP you are thrown in the deep end but I am just wondering just how much work is involved and whether anyone that has previously undertaken a GTP has any tips?

My boyfriend lives in Manchester and I live down south and I know that I am going to struggle to make time to see him during the year because I am going to be up to my eyeballs with marking and planning.

Therefore, if anyone has any tips that could help me prepare in advance for the Sept start I would be extremely grateful.

3. First of all ... congratulations!
    Secondly ... it varies from one provider to the next. I'd check with your provider AND, perhaps more importantly (or, more usefully) try to speak with people currenlty doing the course. Ask them what they did/didn't do, and what they would recommend you do in advance. Perhaps chat with your mentor too ... try to find out what he/she expects you to be doing in the first few weeks and see if they have any tips.
    My provider had us all doing a 3-week (unpaid!!) placement in June/July before starting in September ... they then told us to do NOTHING over summer as they wanted us rested and ready to go come Sep.

4. Congratulations as well - I am due to start in September too :)
    I have been told to do some observations (I am currently employed in a school) so that I get familiar with the Q standards! I am also going to visit some other types of schools so that it doesn't freak me out (deputy heads words!) when I have to go to different places! I did ask him about reading (I was given a reading list) but he said don't worry too much about that at the moment!
    Have fun, get everything else in order (house tidy - bills paid etc) so that you can concentrate when you finally start! You will get to see your other half I am sure - school hols are regular and you can always take work with you or get him to come and see you! I am doing this with a family (and son with SEN) so I am sure you can too! Just make sure you are organised and that you do things when given to you rather than leaving it to the last minute (learnt that from experience) Good luck!