1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous about taking up ANY teaching post.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jetset_life, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi,

I've been looking at lots of teaching jobs and so far have had 3 unsuccessful interviews. I then got an offer for a job and have turned this down. I'm very worried about starting my NQT year and feel that I won't be good enough. Is anybody else feeling the same or did anyone feel the same before they started? Any replies would be great.

Thanks

2. Hi,

I've been looking at lots of teaching jobs and so far have had 3 unsuccessful interviews. I then got an offer for a job and have turned this down. I'm very worried about starting my NQT year and feel that I won't be good enough. Is anybody else feeling the same or did anyone feel the same before they started? Any replies would be great.

Thanks

3. Remind yourself that you passed your university course and teaching placements. Remember that your tutors and mentors have faith in your ability to do the job - you are at this stage based on your own efforts. Also, your references must have been supportive for an offer to have been made - someone whose business it is to assess teaching ability believes in you. If that were not enough, the headteacher making the offer considered you worthy. A lot of people think you can do this!
    You are not the first person to have concerns, nor will you be the last. To take a personal example, I have taught since 2005 and I still have anxiety dreams and sleepless nights before returning to work after the holidays. My colleagues with more experience tell me it is just the same for them. A little self-doubt is a sign of an intelligent and aware person - so I tell myself, anyway! You might also say that it makes us human, not robots.
    Finally, any school worth its salt will support you properly during your NQT year. You should expect training, mentoring (timetabled or informal) and constructive observations, giving you a chance to develop your practice. It is, after all, implicit in the phrase "Newly Qualified Teacher" that you are at the beginning of your career and expectations are not the same as for teachers with more experience.
    Good luck, not that you need it :)

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

All totally natural. Everyone feels like this. I've been going for 3 years now and I still feel like i'm not good enough! We are all full of self doubt really! It's only cause we care and want to do the best by the children though!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If, as posting on here suggests, you are a primary teachers then you would not have been offered a post if you weren't good enough. There are far too many primary teachers for jobs and the fact you got one means you are a good teacher, very good.

Yes it is nerve-racking and scary, but you will be fine in the end. Don't turn down any more posts, get on and get started, you will love it once you do!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Absolutely!!
    I sat in the loo before I started teaching my first ever class - and wondered what on earth they were doing in giving me a job - and then I started and was too busy and absorbed and having fun to have time to worry (too much!!!). Perfectly natural to feel scared - just don't let it stop you next time xx

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I did that too.

I arrived way too early for my very first day (and INSET) and sat in my car in the car park convinced that there had been a big mistake and I wasn't actually supposed to be there, so would look incredibly daft when I walked in. I must have sat there for nearly an hour before plucking up the courage to go in.

The second day (teaching) was as above, sat in the ladies for ages wondering what on earth would happen. I didn't sit at my desk in the classroom (in or out of lessons) for about 3 weeks as it just felt so wrong and like I didn't deserve it.

But definitely don't turn down jobs...daft banana! It gets better and better, I promise. 15 years after that first few days and I still love it!

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I think I may have been hypervnetiallating too!!
    The first lesson after a ten year baby break (they longer to grow than I thought!!) had me in sleepless territory, but now, two full terms later, I feel almost as if I've never been away! Get on!! You'll be fine!

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Remember what NQT means...Not Quite There!
    Tongue firmly in cheek, of course, but my point is that you are expected to make a few howlers, get a handful of things completely wrong and balls-up a good few lessons in your first year of teaching. You are allowed to do it and it's almost expected of you. As long as you learn from your mistakes - that's what counts. Your sole objective in this first year is to just be "good enough" - don't worry about being any better than that
    The first year is terrifying - no doubt about that - and it will be the most difficult year of your career. But you've done well to qualify and even better to get offered a job - I second the notion that you are daft as anything to have turned it down. Beggars can't be choosers in the current job market, and you've not had the experience to make a judgement on whether a school is right for you just yet.
    But never mind. Keep looking, keep applying, and have faith in yourself. In my experience, the teachers who are fiercely self-critical make far better teachers than the ones who think they can do it with their eyes shut.

10. Thank you very much for all your replies. I'm going to keep applying and I'll give it my best shot!