1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous about becoming Head.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by CazCrompton1971, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I've got my first interview this week for a Headship. I'm a very experienced inner-city Deputy and ready for it. I've had to deal with horrible CP, violent parents, teachers on capability, But the nerves are hitting in a bit.
    In a masochistic way, I'm posting this to ask for some horror stories as Heads, if I can read them and think I can do that then the nerves will go.

2. I've got my first interview this week for a Headship. I'm a very experienced inner-city Deputy and ready for it. I've had to deal with horrible CP, violent parents, teachers on capability, But the nerves are hitting in a bit.
    In a masochistic way, I'm posting this to ask for some horror stories as Heads, if I can read them and think I can do that then the nerves will go.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You don't want the horror stories - as an experienced inner city deputy there's little you won't have seen or dealt with personally.
    Yes, being the head permanently is scary and some of us deal with it less well than others (I am speaking for myself here!) - it never ceases to amaze me how much better many colleague heads have coped with nasty scenarios and awful stress than I have.
    What I'm trying to say is - I think you know as well as anyone can what the job will be like. Focus on knowing your stuff, using examples from your own experience (or the heads you've worked with - you don't have to have done it yourself to use an example you were there to see) and if the job feels right - take it if it's offered.
    Good luck!

4. Thanks for that, yes it's the scary responsibility of it that's making me nervous. But yes I am going to just go for it.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Anyone who isn't mildly terrified occasionally clearly has no idea what they're taking on. Headship is tough but rewarding. I still have the occasional moment web I think "bloody hell I'm responsible for all this!!!!" it passes and I crack on with the job.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Anyone who isn't mildly terrified occasionally clearly has no idea what they're taking on. Headship is tough but rewarding. I still have the occasional moment web I think "bloody hell I'm responsible for all this!!!!" it passes and I crack on with the job.You will too.

7. It is sooo scary that you develop a twitch. It makes you do things like, oh, I don't know...clicking your mouse button twice.. Is it too early for hard drink curly? x

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Cheeky! I'll have you know I never drink before the clock gets into double figures!

9. Middlemarch

But you've probably got one of those 'What time it is in Australia' clocks, haven't you?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

How the hell did you know?

11. Middlemarch

Standard issue to anyone appointed to a headship in the last ten years.
    Of course, those of us appointed to our first headships in the 90s, whilst still under the last Tory government, got cuckoo clocks. The cuckoo was programmed to burst out of its little hole and cry 'Drinky time!' at around 4pm each day. It was the only way John Major could keep us all from slitting our wrists at the mere sight of our budgets.

12. I have some symapthy with the OP. I have just been appointed for September and am being asked to reorganise staffing for September plus deal with a 9% predicted deficit budget which can only be addressed through staffing as everything else is cut to the bone. I am being asked to make life changing decisions and I am not even in post yet !

13. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

check out http://www.aber-publishing.co.uk/Hey%20Thompson.html
    this is an overview on how to create a coaching and mentoring system in a school and this system has saved at least one life, hope the interview went well