1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous about applying

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by amyyyxo, Feb 10, 2016.

1. amyyyxo

amyyyxo New commenter

I'm currently in my second year of teaching in the school where I completed my NQT year.
    The school are currently awaiting an Ofsted inspection to be allocated a grade after being closed down and reopened as an academy 6 months before I arrived. It is a wonderful school doing many great things for the students.

However, I don't feel there is real scope for progression here and I've been looking to apply elsewhere, somewhere with a 6th form/career progression prospects etc. I've found an outstanding school that I would love to apply for but suddenly I'm feeling rather uncomfortable about my experience. I'm regularly graded good/outstanding in observations and have excellent results/data for my classes. I'm not sure why I'm nervous and not feeling good enough all of a sudden but it's pushing me to stay at my current school out of comfort.

I suppose I just need some advice from more experienced teachers who may have been faced with a similar situation?

2. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

The majority of Heads regard a minimum of three years in a first appointment before considering moving on. I stayed four years in my initial post and my Head thought that was the minimum time to show what one can achieve. In retrospect I do agree.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Really? You can tell that after a year and a half? What kind of jobs are you looking for elsewhere?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Three years would be good, but people also move after two. And if they move, it's because they applied, were interviewed, and offered the job!

The basic test is: Do you meet their requirements?

You may well not, (in fact I know that you haven't), had several successful cohorts of students going through GCSE and A-level. So how could you comply with their criterion about examination success?

Get their details. Look at the person specification and job description, draw up a rough E.S. to see how far you meet their requirements.

If you do, then it is appropriate for you to apply. If you don't, then you would not be a credible applicant.

By the way, do read this:

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

And if you have no idea what an E.S. is, then you need to come to Jobseekers (scroll down the forum list) and ask there!

Best wishes