1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervouce about starting PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MonsterTeachingIdeas, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

I've
    been accepted onto a PGCE Early Years course and I really want to teach
    but I'm so scared that I won't be good enough. My insecuritues mostly
    revolve around planning lessons etc - what if I can't make it exciting
    enough/what if I can't think of an activity etc.
    I suppose this
    is compounded by the fact that I will be walking out of a full time
    (although probably not secure) job without the support of my parents so
    can't really afford to fail.
    Just wondered if anyone else felt like this before they started and can re-assure me that it's normal and it won't be s bad as I fear?

2. MonsterTeachingIdeas

And I apologise for my spelling/typing in the subject...having a bit of an off day. (I should really learn to check before I hit post!)

3. It's normal. It may or may not be as bad as you fear.

Your ability to worry about your own ability doesn't correlate to your ability. Everyone panics. Most people are okay. Some people flounder. Just try your best.

4. I'm half way through my course despite thinking that i wouldn't last the Induction week let alone anything else!
    You will build up a support network of friends and you will support each other.
    I still think i can't do it, but I'm still here and I love every minute of it!
    Put this above your computer:
    I CAN AND I WILL!

Good Luck!

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

That fact that you are not blase about about it is a good sign. We're going on a PGCE course to learn. None of us acn do it all alrdeay.
    You'll be fine :)

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The fact that you've been accepted onto a PGCE course means that people experienced in picking out candidates with the necessary potential to become good teachers have seen something in you that they think means you are good enough. PGCE providers aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel for candidates, so they wouldn't have picked you unless they thought you had the right skills.

You obviously want to teach and to be a good teacher, or you wouldn't be leaving your job to do so. The very worst that can happen is that you won't become a good teacher... but you will still leave with the knowledge that teaching isn't for you. If you never gave it a go, you'd always wonder "what if I'd tried training to be a teacher". So even if you fail, you will still gain something.

As someone else said, you are doing a PGCE to learn how to be a teacher. There will probably be a lot of things you don't know how to do initially, and sometimes you'll think you've sussed something only to try it out and have it not work. That's ok - you're learning. The whole course is set up so that you are constantly reviewing and evaluating your practice and thinking of ways to improve it, so actually making mistakes is a good thing, because if you did everything perfectly it would be really difficult to think of ways to improve it.

If you have trouble thinking of an activity for a particular topic, there will be lots of support available - books, university tutors, your peers, the class teacher. You won't be on your own, particularly not at the beginning, and there will always be someone you can run your ideas past if you are feeling a bit nervous about teaching them, to get a second opinion about whether they'll work well or not.

As for not making it exciting enough - young children can be convinced that anything is exciting if you present it to them as if it is. For this reason, it's best to use lesson ideas that you are confident about (and get a second opinion if you're not sure about anything - even if the teacher is suggesting you do X, don't feel you can't ask her about it if you're unsure about it), because if you're confident that it's a good lesson, you'll be much more able to present it in an exciting way to the children.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Whoops, I wrote a novel there. Sorry!

8. MonsterTeachingIdeas

No problem. Thank you. You've really made me feel more at ease. :D