1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nerves

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by amyr89, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi everyone. I am in my 3rd year of a 4 year Bed programme and am due to speak at a (very small) conference arranged at my uni soon. It is not a huge thing and not marked in any way. All of us on my course (around 20 of us) are separated into different rooms/times to speak about a (sort of) chosen topic for 15-20 minutes. The last time I did a presentation I got very nervous although I couldn't understand why, as I did not feel nervous before I started talking. I am not generally a nervous person so can't understand why I was this way before, especially as the people I was talking to were all very familiar. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on controlling nerves as I don't want the same situation to repeat itself. Thank you.

2. Presumably you don't feel like this everytime you step in front of your class(es), so try to think about what you do differently in those situations and tap in to that.
    Beyond that, either deliver it to one person right at the back of the room (useful for bigger presentations if you are REALLY nervous), or keep looking around, trying to make something close to eye contact and deliver it to everyone. Try to smile at the end of sentences/clauses and 9 times out of 10 you will find someone who smiles back at you. This person is now your safe banker. If you get nervous go back to them. Ideally, though, keep on going and you'll get someone else respond positively. You now have two bankers ... as so on and so forth.
    If all else fails, remember that you ARE better than them, as you have something that they want/need to hear!

3. Thanks MasterMaths!

All of that advice sounds brilliant! Especially the last part as this time the conference involves professionals from outside the Uni. I really don't want to come across nervous or like I don't know what I'm talking about, but you're right - I have something that they want to hear. I want to enjoy this conference, as after all I get to talk about something I find interesting - and your advice has made me feel much better :) thank you!