1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nepotism, Hypocrisy smells of Corruption.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mr.Chips, May 4, 2012.

1. So you come out to the golden arena of international teaching overseas and find the school that will give you that escape from the UK. The kids are fine, your family is enjoying the place, the weathers great, your making lots of money but in time your discover a large scam unravelling.You discover the favouritism, nepotism, back stabbing and a climate of fear prevailing beneath the veneer. How does one deal with it knowing full well running away is not the option, nor reporting what smells so obviously as no-one will ever do much short of shooting the messenger.

2. So you come out to the golden arena of international teaching overseas and find the school that will give you that escape from the UK. The kids are fine, your family is enjoying the place, the weathers great, your making lots of money but in time your discover a large scam unravelling.You discover the favouritism, nepotism, back stabbing and a climate of fear prevailing beneath the veneer. How does one deal with it knowing full well running away is not the option, nor reporting what smells so obviously as no-one will ever do much short of shooting the messenger.

3. you do nothing but enjoy the money and the lifestyle. It will never change. You can't change it. It's like trying to change a corrupt government. Don't make yourself unhappy. focus on the money and the holidays. I did that for 6 years.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The only school I discovered this to a very strong degree was a comprehensive just outside my home town.., but a certain amount is present in any school or other human institution, surely?
    Now, if you'd like to be a bit more specific about the monstrous snake that has invaded your overseas Garden Of Eden, we'll be all ears.

5. Now! Now! SMT Dude. I wouldnt want to compromise my position on here.T'was a discussion one of my teacher neighbours was having with me last night at our weekly barbecues about the goings on.

6. Having been in similar sounding position, a old lag whose judgement I respected told me he just put his integrity in a drawer at the start of term and took it out again for the holidays. I had mixed success with that strategy over the years personally but the fact you know something's wrong should reassure you your moral compass is intact.

The old adage says you're either part of the problem, part of the solution or part of the scenery. If, as you say, you can't be part of the solution then there's no shame, in my view, in being part of the scenery. I wish I'd done it more to be honest. Time to grin and bank it (and cover your ****) in my view. Cynical perhaps but the moral high ground can be a vicariously crowded place.

7. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I think we've discussed at length my issues regarding these issues. Am I to assume not a recommended establishment to come to then?

8. It all depends what your needs are and situation in life. As the old adage goes where theres muck theres money. The solution I think may be to adopt the right strategy, lie low, park your values and make the most of every opportunity you have to savour a great life outside working hours and during the hols.If its any consolation, usually its the masses who all suffer through the odd 1,2 or 3 tyrants at large. So plenty of shoulders to lean on. The middle east schools generally speaking are a million miles away from the best of UK education standards and framework in place in the main - no matter what people say. My view would be to go for it. You may well get invited into the club. In which case your quids in, laughing all the way to the Leeds Building Society.....

9. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

On a related matter, I always find it rather strange that appointments are made to meet short term rather than longer term needs. One school appointed me on a part time basis simply because I was a man and they had been told by Ofsted that they needed a more balanced staff profile. Another school appointed a class teacher with sports coaching qualifications, who admitted to me he had little idea how to plan lessons for the children for whom he was now responsible; though I guess the once a week sports lessons were pretty impressive.