1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neocate

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Piccola, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Just wondering what your experiences of this have been like? My LO was on nutramigen, but was changed to Neocate last Tuesday. Her bowel movements have changed and her poo has become very smelly! Today she seems to be straining a lot, she then passes wind and when I change her nappy there really isn't a lot in there - I was just wondering if this is normal? I'm also having to put Carobel thickner in her feeds for reflux.
    Many thanks
    Px

2. Hi, my son has been on Neocate. Personally I'd try without the carobel, it can constipate and this may be the problem. My son's reflux was due to cow's milk allergy and after a few weeks of neocate it 90% cleared up so we stopped all the reflux meds. He was sick still but seemed to become a 'happy chucker' and stopped screaming so gave up on gaviscon and other meds and just changed him a lot.

His poo was smelly, but the nappy rash stopped and he reduced from about 20 poos a day to 2/3 so it was a small price to pay! The milk is a bit like having food that is already digested so can lead to strange poo. How old is she? His normalised a lot after weaning.

a forum like mumsnet will probably have a wider range of experiences

3. Thanks for your reply. My little one is 3 months old and she had begun to sleep through the night but for the past few days has wakened around every hour [​IMG] When I go to soothe her I have noticed a foul smell in the air, so I'm concluding that the constipation is making her wake up. I've tried giving her water, massaging her tummy and appling a warm flannel to her tummy, but this hasn't made any difference. All day Wednesday I didn't put the carobel in her milk, but it didn't seem to make a difference - maybe it's too soon to see a difference. I am planning to call the dietician as soon as the office is open this morning.
    Px