1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nelson Mandela

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shelleymccuk, May 23, 2007.

1. shelleymccuk

shelleymccuk New commenter

My Year 4/5 class are currently reading 'Journey to Jo'burg' which focuses on the issue of Apartheid in South Africa. Does anyone know of or have any useful resources suitable for this age group to introduce the children to Apartheid and the work of Nelson Mandela?
    I have the Espresso stuff and have looked on Oxfam's Cool Planet.

2. shelleymccuk

My Year 4/5 class are currently reading 'Journey to Jo'burg' which focuses on the issue of Apartheid in South Africa. Does anyone know of or have any useful resources suitable for this age group to introduce the children to Apartheid and the work of Nelson Mandela?
    I have the Espresso stuff and have looked on Oxfam's Cool Planet.

3. He is not a good figure to herald.

A friend is related to one of his early collaborators - she detests him for his promotion of violence and links with terrorists.

=8-/{--{

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

And smackacrack?

5. LOL!

I wasn't sure how much irony they were going for!!

I should have said relative of a friend above BTW

=:cool:[--{

6. inq

inq

The Stanley Thornes series of books (that I have instantly forgotten the name of but there are anthologies and a teachers file for each year) has a whole section in the Y5 books on Mandela and apartheid. I can look up series of books tomorrow if it helps.

7. shelleymccuk

Thanks for that Ronan. I'm not aiming to promote, just give some info about Apartheid as this is the main issue dealt with in the book.
    Have now written a PowerPoint ;-)