1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neither Animal Nor Plant - Fungi is a Kingdom on its Own I VOA

Discussion in 'Science' started by AndrewvanZyl, Sep 18, 2018.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Published on Sep 17, 2018
    The various species that make up the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom are not the only forms of life on our planet. There is another unique category of life: they are the vast and often strange species that make up the kingdom of fungi. Scientists say there are millions of different fungal species - from mushrooms to molds and yeast. Scientists and policymakers have called for more research, saying we ignore these vital life forms at our peril.

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I find it sad that anyone still believes that there are only 2 kingdoms.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Gondor and Narnia?

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

nobody does, or even 3,

I use the fluxuating number of Kingdoms to demonstrate the impact of changing scientific ideas and understanding, it fulfills many different BTEC criteria in understanding how science works

border_walker likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what I am still totally baffled by is why this OP keeps popping up posting various science videos, nothing new, unusual or controversial just the bog standard spec stuff,

there really is no need to post bits of spec all over the boards, sometimes people ask for help finding something, its ok then.

Why are you doing this OP?

Do you have a stake in these videos in some way, or in the adverts?

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Nobody? I'm sure most people could only think of two.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Maybe he or she is trying to become a star commentator.

8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Sad if true

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I like them. There are often interesting videos and links that I just don't have time to find for myself term time. Sometimes it's stuff I'd use at school, sometimes it's just personal interest but I do appreciate them being posted here.

Noone has to read these posts, after all.

dunnocks likes this.
  10. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Dear Commentators
    Who Is The OP?!? I am a school librarian who spends a great deal of time trawling the Net for stuff for teachers. My experience is that teachers often want a short clip to introduce a topic or start a discussion. I therefore tend to focus on pieces which explain concepts in clear and simple ways. Thus "bog standard" material-it's not to enlighten teachers (obviously) but to help them explain things better to their students. I'll also post material on new discoveries or approaches-especially stuff which is topical, like research on graphene. Most of this material-plus much else besides-appears in my Science Scoop which I despatch weekly (roughly) to Science teachers at my school and elsewhere. You can check it out here. I also have a Biology Scoop which you can look at here. If you would like to receive these newsletter just drop me a line at avanzyl@phs.org.za and I will subscribe you. And no, I am not being paid to do this-I'm just bored since Google Ate My Lunch :) (Or rather-What do school librarians do now that kids no longer use the library for projects?!?)

Cheers and happy teaching, Andrew