1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neighbours Garden and Shed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Dec 11, 2011.

1. My neighbours back garden has always been a bit of a state. He dug up the lawn the autumn that I moved in and it's been a pile of earth and weeds ever since. He did try planting and growing something this year, but I think whatever it was got lost in the weeds!
    The shed has also always been a bit dilapidated, it's looked like it was going to fall down since the day I moved in, but after Thursday's winds, it's even worse. Some of the slats have come off, others are just about off and I can pretty much see what's inside it!
    I've never seen him actually using the shed in the 5 years I've lived here, and although there's only me and the neighbour on the other side of him that can see it, both the shed and the garden are a complete eyesore.
    Every time the wind picks up his shed is just going to get worse, until the day it eventually collapses, and when that happens, I can see a pile of timber sitting on his weed patch forever more. Thankfully, it's not in a position where it could hurt anything/anyone.
    He's pleasant enough, will happily pass the time of day with you, and other than the garden and shed issue, he's a great neighbour, but he is a bit of a strange cookie...
    Now, I'm not a gardener, so as much as I'd love to offer to do something about his garden, that's never going to happen, but would it be impolite of me to ask if he'd like some help in taking the shed down? My o/h would happily help him, we could easily accomodate any items he wanted to keep in our shed and take the rubbish to the dump.
    Any advice or comments are welcome, I just don't know what to do (if anything!).

2. My neighbours back garden has always been a bit of a state. He dug up the lawn the autumn that I moved in and it's been a pile of earth and weeds ever since. He did try planting and growing something this year, but I think whatever it was got lost in the weeds!
    The shed has also always been a bit dilapidated, it's looked like it was going to fall down since the day I moved in, but after Thursday's winds, it's even worse. Some of the slats have come off, others are just about off and I can pretty much see what's inside it!
    I've never seen him actually using the shed in the 5 years I've lived here, and although there's only me and the neighbour on the other side of him that can see it, both the shed and the garden are a complete eyesore.
    Every time the wind picks up his shed is just going to get worse, until the day it eventually collapses, and when that happens, I can see a pile of timber sitting on his weed patch forever more. Thankfully, it's not in a position where it could hurt anything/anyone.
    He's pleasant enough, will happily pass the time of day with you, and other than the garden and shed issue, he's a great neighbour, but he is a bit of a strange cookie...
    Now, I'm not a gardener, so as much as I'd love to offer to do something about his garden, that's never going to happen, but would it be impolite of me to ask if he'd like some help in taking the shed down? My o/h would happily help him, we could easily accomodate any items he wanted to keep in our shed and take the rubbish to the dump.
    Any advice or comments are welcome, I just don't know what to do (if anything!).

3. It seems a good time to offer - you can ignore the general state of disrepair and blame it entirely on the stormy weather.

4. I know you mean well but leave the poor bloke alone. It's his shed and garden. He can see what's happening. It's just not at the top of his priority list. (I speak as one who was nagged by the neighbour on one side of my house about the state of the shed in the garden of the neighbour on the other side of me. I may be biased on this issue.)
    That said he might take the help very gratefully.

5. I agree - life's too short to worry about the state of someone's shed.

6. Thank you for your replies!
    Life is too short, I do agree, and it's purely selfish reasons that I'd like it to come down (the view out of my kitchen window would be much nicer!), but my neighbour is much older (I wont say elderly, as he's ages with my dad!) and, like my dad, he isn't as capable of doing these sorts of tasks as my o/h and I.
    He never married and doesn't have any family, so I do wonder if it's something he might wish to do, but doesn't have the help he would require to do it. I'm not sure he'd ask for help, but may accept if it's offered.
    I think I'll leave it for the moment...I'll wait for the next gale force wind and see what state it ends up in, then if it's looking dodgy, perhaps send the o/h round (he's more tactful than me)!
    Thanks again.

7. If it's still like it in the spring you could chuck a hanful of nasturtium seeds over the fence.
    (It was a very kind thought though.)

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As long as he is not doing anything illegal, I am afraid it is nowt to do with you.
    I would be incensed if some busybody neighbour tried to tell me what to do in my own garden.

9. Haha! I've never been called a busybody before!
    We're up to gale force winds again tonight...neighbour on the other side is shooting roof tiles into the driveway at the front and my back fence is looking rather like it may be horizontal shortly (no problems with either of those on Thursday), so the shed problem may be fixed by tomorrow! :)

10. Goodness, get a life!

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Leave the guy alone. One mans shed is another mans palace.