1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neighbourhood cats!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Since getting our cat, other local cats have been visiting during the day. Ours is a friendly cat, so he's not fussed about other cats in the house but there is one in particular who spends a lot of his time here.

The visiting cat wears a collar, so must have an owner, but scoff any biscuits left in the bowl and licks the remnants of meat from the wet food bowl. He sleeps on the sofa, usually for a good two or three hours a day. We've started removing any food when this cat comes into the house, but he seems content just to sleep here, get a few strokes under the chin and a scratch behind the ears, and then go out again.

Do you think I should contact the owner and tell them what he's doing? There's a mobile number on his tag, but no address or name. I don't want to make it sound like we're being petty and he's not causing any trouble!

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You have been adopted.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you like him and your cat does too? Make him welcome.

You know cats. He'll find better fish to fry soon enough. Cats. Fickle. Or he will adopt you for good. In which case feel very honoured.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Since we got a cat-flap for Nazi-cat I've noticed other cats have started popping up at the door checking us out...

Thankfully I'm fully charged with anti-cat rays...

cissy3 and SleighBelle like this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We have lots of cats around here. They're all very fat on the teaming wildlife and actually look like pregnant cats but, they're just fat.

They're also feral and, although they belong to people who live in houses, the cats are out all hours feasting on all manner of smaller animals and birds.

It's quite tragic really because they don't look like they trust people much and have never experienced affection. One young cat came in the garden last evening and then ran off into the lane and rolled on its back for a second, shook its head and rolled back over and went off into the hedgerow.

I felt a passing sense that it desired affection but was world hardened living here in the countryside and had never known great love so, it just let it pass and got on with the next meal -which involves of course, a chase.

I think they even go after the surviving pheasants. A pheasant comes into the garden to eat the wheat off the thatching straw. Today it wheeled off at a pace and flew over the hedge and right round in a big arch.

Probably one of the cats.

There's some rough old looking cats round here. Real bruisers. One's called 'Boss' and it's massive.

There's others which, when I see them, I just silently mouth 'mouser'.

There's no gentle cats here. No really nice ones. They're all just monsters.

cissy3, lanokia and SleighBelle like this.
  6. SleighBelle

It's a tough life, living in the wilds. :)

lanokia and wanet like this.
  7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My own cat (correction, the cat that owns me!) came to me when the next door neighbours 'abandoned' both him and another cat (they since took the other cat) 5 years ago. (since thewn they have only infrequently occupied the flat.) Amusingly, I met my neighbour in a Wetherspoons recently and in classic understatement of the year mode he said 'Arthur visits you now!' when discussing him!

Having no cat flap, (my cat miaows when he wants to be let out or stands by a door/window or both) I leave a window open during the day during the week. On more than one occasion, I have come home to find a black and white cat present as well as my own! However, it is somewhat wary of me still (a good thing otherwise I would possibly end up with 2 cats!)

Although cats are territorial, sometimes they do seem to 'get together' and at one point, my back garden was like the Neutral Zone in Star Trek with no fewer than 8 cats on it at one time!

I would as a matter of courtesy let the people the cat owns know he is also owning you!

lanokia and SleighBelle like this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I would be cautious of allowing a 'foreign' cat into your house @SleighBelle

I watched a documentary showing 'the secret life of cats' type of thing.

(So obviously that makes me an expert (not :D))

They may not obviously show it, but they can feel bullied by other cats, (unless they've been brought up together, and even then there is a lot of hierarchical jostling for position!)

Flere-Imsaho and Dragonlady30 like this.
  9. SleighBelle

Thanks, cissy. We were concerned to begin with, because the 'foreigner' is big-boned and a bit of a bruiser. Our cat wasn't bothered by him, but the visitor took a swipe at him on the first night and we booted him out. We think they may have had a spat since, because now the visitor stays well clear from our cat, though they'll happily share a sofa.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

My elderly cat has recently lost most of her sight, and the vet told us to keep her indoors.

But the cat won't let me! So I take her out for gentle strolls (and other natural functions) in the garden.

She walks with an insouciant air towards any other cat (because she can't see it) and they take one look at this behaviour, and scarper!

I think they think she's ''hard'' :D

Dragonlady30 and SleighBelle like this.
  11. inky

inky Lead commenter

In reply to the OP, I'd contact the owners [am I allowed to say that? just to let them know that he's whiling away the time in your house. Who knows, maybe your cat is returning the compliment at their house!

Primary school posters on here will all be familiar with the wonderful "Six Dinner Sid" by Inga Moore. It's for young children, but any adult cat-lover will surely love it too.

InkyP likes this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I too saw a programme on cats ad their activities. Fickle? That's a nice name for their activities!! :D

Off topic, but I remember reading about a lady who had a small dog who was allowed to sleep on the bed and she'd had a cat flap fitted so he could come and go as he pleased. On night, the lady woke and pushed her feet down the bed and they bumped into a lump. The dog she thought. She turned over and pushed her feet down another part of the bed and believed she felt her dog again. Still half asleep she realised that both lumps couldn't be her dog so she switched on the lamp to see a half grown fox curled up and snoring!!! :eek:

She shouted and the fox woke and scarpered PDQ. He seemed so settled and left the house so quickly that the lady was convinced he'd been there before!! Needless to say, the cat flap was locked at night after that. :D

cissy3 likes this.
  13. EllisCarver

EllisCarver Established commenter

Give the visiting cat lots to eat so it becomes obese and can't make it to you house

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Or else he'll get too fat to go home!

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to have two cats who used a cat flap. When I went on holiday my neighbour looked after them but they could go in and out as they pleased. One decided to move in with some people down the road and only came back to be fed. This continued for some months after I came back and he used to turn up occasionally smelling of 'interesting' herbal smoky smells. Eventually those people moved out and he came back home for good.

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And they really want to eat you.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Get a chip activated cat flap. It will only open or close for your cat. Not cheap but great for peace of mind. We were getting regular incursions from the local ginger tom before we got ours - after that he was relegated to peering through it rather sulkily whilst our moggy went ner ner at him from inside.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

On the subject of cats, did anyone see on the news today, that little sweetie that got accidentally packed into a box and posted! And happily survived! Thank goodness!

Eight days, and 250 miles later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35905576

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Explains why Nazi-cat has a word document titled 'How to cook Lanokia'...

He swears it's an innocent misunderstanding.

cissy3 likes this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Is this him Lanokia?

[​IMG]

They're all at it!