1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Negotiating Salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by EnglishTeacher94, Dec 30, 2017.

1. EnglishTeacher94

EnglishTeacher94 New commenter

Just wanted to ask about Negotiating Salary. I'll be moving from London to Brighton next year, but I know with the move I will take a pay cut. Has anyone been successful in negotiating slightly higher than what was offered? If so,how did you go about it?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It will depend upon the advantages that you can offer.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I disagree, it will depend on how desperate the school is. Unless you call "Me or nobody" an advantage;)

If you've already accepted the job then you've accepted the salary. Pity because the end of pay portability cuts both ways.

If not then get very specific advice, not on this forum. I have a friend who is in sales and so can negotiate even better than David Davis and Donald Trump put together*. He knows nothing about teaching but so what. Over a few drinks he'll run through likely scenarios and give approaches to take. Can you find someone like that?

If you've already accepted the peanuts, then study the School pay policy, almost certainly there's some fast-track process or recruitment and retention bonus lurking within it. Then get the same sales person (or anyone used to business haggling) to take you through it.

All this advice assumes that the school is desperate enough and you are ruthless enough. If so don't be fobbed off by phrases like, "There is a proper process to move up the pay scale", "We'll see if you are worth it in a year's time", "Other staff are happy to work for a cup of rice a day". It is a dog-eat-dog which us teachers are ill-equipped to navigate but if we don't then nothing will happen to change it for the better.

* I know, I know

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Would only work if there is only one candidate! if this isn't the case then you need to offer advatages to the school over other candidates.

JohnJCazorla likes this.