1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

negotiating salary when offered job?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Corrina_N, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Corrina_N

Corrina_N New commenter

Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to the world of secondary education teaching. I have applied to a number of independent schools and currently waiting to hear from an interview.

I have a QTS (not a PGCE; I gained my QTS through the EU recognition route) and a PhD with 3 year experience of higher education teaching. At a recent interview I was told that if I were offered the position I would start from point 3, rather than 1, as a recognition of my postgraduate qualifications. Unfortunately, I was not offered that position, but I was wondering if it is considered appropriate to negotiate a similar deal if offered a position. I don't want to come across as rude, but I also feel that I should try, as it would be a small recognition of the years I've put into further education.

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions!

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I was offered point 4 at my independent with a PhD (no PGCE) and it's my second full year of teaching secondary. My school does respect postgraduate qualifications.... (I had 4 years higher education teaching and 6 years EFL, before deciding I wanted to teach my subject (jobs in higher education are very tough to get)....it doesn't hurt to ask....

3. Corrina_N

Corrina_N New commenter

Hey sabrinakat!

Thanks for this! May I ask if your 4 years in higher education teaching were post-PhD (ie an academic job)? Cause mine are in essence part time, as I have been teaching concurrently with my PhD. You obviously had a lot of teaching experience and I am glad they recognised this! I would be happy with point 2 or 3. Definitely do not expect more than that.

4. Corrina_N

Corrina_N New commenter

ps. I see we are also doing the same subject :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A helpful answer there from @sabrinakat , thank you.

@Corinna_N , you could ask if they were thinking of recognising your academic qualifications and teaching experience by awarding a higher salary point.

Good luck!

6. Corrina_N

Corrina_N New commenter

Thank you Theo :)

7. sabrinakat

Mostly the same time as my PhD, but I had a temporary 'tutor' position for two terms at Oxford (where I started my then D.Phil) when I took an authorised break. I worked part-time EFL when I had my son but wanted to teach my subject - I teach across KS3, 4 and 5 with Oxbridge preparation; in my own independent school, I am the only Latin teacher and they like a creative approach, as well

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Keep in mind that point 3 in one indie school may be equivalent to point 7 in another.

Think about the actual wage you believe you should earn and negotiate from there. They, probably, will expect you to negotiate a little.

9. sabrinakat

Agreed. I did and got a 'management' point added. Not a huge salary, but very reasonable!