1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Negotiating a contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by honeycrumb, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I finally got a copy of my contract, for a part time, temporary maternity contract. The contract stipulates that they only need to give me a weeks notice to cancel the contract. The problem starts in that I need to give my children's nursery a months notice to cancel their places.
    What do you think of my chances of re-negotiating this clause in the contract? Or I could be liable for paying for three weeks nursery (which would be nearly £600) which I simply can not afford to do?

2. I finally got a copy of my contract, for a part time, temporary maternity contract. The contract stipulates that they only need to give me a weeks notice to cancel the contract. The problem starts in that I need to give my children's nursery a months notice to cancel their places.
    What do you think of my chances of re-negotiating this clause in the contract? Or I could be liable for paying for three weeks nursery (which would be nearly £600) which I simply can not afford to do?

3. Relatively common place for maternity covers - due to changes of circumstances etc... sadly this is the negative of temp posts - likewise it gives you freedom to move on also at short notice. Your own childcare arrangements are not the school's concern - harsh but true!

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Is it the same notice period either way?
    The person returning from maternity has to give three weeks notice (and can change their mind at that notice, even if they've previously given a return date). You might try pushing them on giving you three weeks (or maybe 18 days, to allow for them getting her notice on Friday afternoon) - they don't have to, but it would only require them to be prompt about telling you, and it would give them the advantage (if the notice period is the same either way) that you wouldn't be able to leave them in the lurch as easily. Nothing venture, nothing gain.