1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neglected family, lost life, leaving teaching, could do with some guidance.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by objectiveledcack, Sep 16, 2018.

1. objectiveledcack

objectiveledcack New commenter

Dear All,
    Been in teaching for 16 years, early 40s and have had enough. To think we are working for pensions we will never get to enjoy, potentially to a ridiculous age, or be pushed out on the redundancy agenda or should I say competency process. Even now as I type this message it is Sunday night 10:45pm and Ive been marking and planning like every other evening for the past 15 years and when I arrive to work tomorrow I know absolutely that it won't be enough and will be criticised as ever.
    I reckon it time to leave. But I need a bit of guidance if anyone can help.
    Im thinking of part time university course, cover teaching a day or so a week while I attend university.
    So I've got a few questions:
    1) is it easy to transfer pension to a new job?
    2) UPS2 pay (just out of curiosity) how much is daily / hourly rate before and after tax roughly?
    3) Have folks been in the same position, been unhappy out of teaching and then gone back?
    4) If I leave teaching for a while, then return can I still challenge for the same spine point or is it back to square one?

Thanks in advance

Alice K and henrypm0 like this.
  2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I think the teachers pension is good enough not to think of moving it, even if it were possible. And if you were to return to teaching, you could carry on adding to it.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

If you are changing from teaching full-time to teaching part-time - so many days a week - you may find you will no long have money being paid into your teachers' pension and it used to be that if you taught for less than 25 hours a week, then neither was your employer paying their contribution towards your state pension. I discovered I didn't get a full state pension, and so did many others, when we arrived at pension age.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree it is time for you to leave, but leave your school rather than the profession. Most schools would not need you to mark until 1045 every night, a fair few wouldn't need you to do that ever, even if you were teaching all year 11 and 13 English classes.

Seriously, find a new school.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.