1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Negative thoughts...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by notreallyme75, Jun 26, 2019.

1. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

anyone else ever struggled with this?
    Feel like I’ve been totally shafted out of my role. Not because I’ve failed performance wise, but because I’m expensive and the needs of the school have altered.
    Been there a long time. Absolutely devastated to be treated this way.
    Really struggling to cope with it and what will happen next. Off work atm.

Foux da fa fa likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not being flippant but ...... you're one of thousands. Thousands!

It's not you. It's THEM. Well, it's all of us. Indirectly. We either voted for austerity and cuts or we didn't stand up against it strongly enough.

But the school can't afford you. A school isn't (contrary to what we'd like to believe) a centre of philanthropic beneficence. It's a low(ish)-cost way of getting millions of kids to read and write and function in society. But it still has to be paid for. And the money isn't there.

I wish they'd just be honest about it rather than have to resort to subterfuge to dispense with our services. Perpetrate the lie that we're being ditched because we're incompetent. We're not. You're not. Far from it. But it's cheaper to get rid of you this way than offer what might be an expensive redundancy package.

At least the miners in the 80s KNEW it was the government who'd deliberately flung them on the scrap-heap. There wasn't any of this bs about it. There was an attack made upon them. For teachers in 2019 it's a stealthy and insidious assault that's largely invisible to the other staff.

No help to anyone. Not to you or to the miners. But don't let this defeat you. It's complete and utter sheet but you'll get through. This doesn't invalidate all the good you've done.

3. notreallyme75

Thanks... and I know. I know I’m one of many. They didn’t even tell me I was incompetent... or anything like that, just made it really clear that the job I’d been doing would no longer be like that but would be something else, and that there were people better suited to it. V upsetting!

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

5. grumpydogwoman

If the work you're currently doing is no longer required then the role has become redundant. If you've been there a long time you should definitely get a proper package. So it's union all the way.

There's no shame in redundancy. Schools don't seem to offer much these days except literacy and numeracy. So many enriching subjects and activities have been scrapped. It's appalling. It's even worse for the kids. They don't even know what they're missing.

Union. This won't prevent you losing your role. But it ought to help you get what's owed to you.

I know this isn't just about the money. It's about recognition. Well, you know what you've done and they know what you've done too. They're just too graceless and spineless to talk about it.

6. notreallyme75

Yeah it’s tough. I just loved my job and thought I’d done it well.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  7. TailwindTurner

TailwindTurner New commenter

jlishman2158 and notreallyme75 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

You did do it well. Nobody can ever take that away from you.

jlishman2158 and rolysol like this.
  9. notreallyme75

Think I needed to hear that. Thank you.

10. grumpydogwoman

Sad is OK. End of an era. And you still have plenty left in the tank. It's sad and it's a waste of your talent.

But you know what you did and so do the students you helped. You helped build bricks in the walls of their lives. They may not even remember it but you did that. We all did. We've all done that. And, if you were born in 1975, you've still something to give. It might turn out to be not what you'd expected at this stage in your career but you WILL carry on and make (here I revert to my favourite "Every Child Matters") a positive contribution. Because that's what you do.

11. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I completely share your devastation. I was told last week that I no longer have a job. Didn't give me enough notice to find one for September, mortgage to pay, mouths to feed. Absolutely up the brown creek without so much as a boat let alone a paddle.
    Hope you are able to find something that you enjoy and that pays the bills soon (if that's what you want/need).
    Definitely them, not us.

tenpast7 and jlishman2158 like this.
  12. notreallyme75

Born in 1983 so...
    Grumpydogwoman I have admired your posts and advice to others and want to thank you for your words of wisdom. You have helped me enormously today.

jlishman2158 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. notreallyme75

I feel your pain.
    Hoping for positive news for you soon.

jlishman2158 and daisy1603 like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

@daisy1603

:(

So sorry. Good luck with job-hunting.

jlishman2158 and daisy1603 like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

1983. You're barely older than my daughters and you've worked so hard to get where you are. :(

jlishman2158 likes this.
  16. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Sorry to jump on your post @notreallyme75 but just to let you know I share your negative thoughts. Thought I had a good case against my school for my lack of job but just been told I have no case at all.
    Definitely considering a long walk off a short, high something or other :(
    Yet again my career and life are left in tatters by a school.

17. grumpydogwoman

@daisy1603

Please ring one of the numbers at the top of the page. Please talk to someone. Please do it now.

jlishman2158 and notreallyme75 like this.
  18. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Get out. Get promoted if you can. Find another school .

jlishman2158 likes this.
  19. notreallyme75

Aw no!
    Please don’t think you’re on your own. I too have felt like this for the past 24 hours. Did you call one of the numbers as suggested?
    Please don’t despair. There are lots of lovely schools that will need you.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  20. notreallyme75

I know. You’re right. Just hurts after so long. Gave it my all.