1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

negative numbers or minus?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by poet, Sep 4, 2011.

1. poet

poet New commenter

Hi all
    Just a quick query...
    I was always of the opinion that numbers lower than zero were negative numbers ie; -3 would be negative 3 not minus 3 as minus is an operation.
    We have just bought into a maths scheme in school *shudder* and one of the teaching points in the first unit I am looking at is that "negative numbers should be referred to as negative 2, 3, 4 etc. except for when reading temperature when they should be minus 1, 2, 3, etc."
    correct? or not so much?
    Cheers! P

2. poet

poet New commenter

Hi all
    Just a quick query...
    I was always of the opinion that numbers lower than zero were negative numbers ie; -3 would be negative 3 not minus 3 as minus is an operation.
    We have just bought into a maths scheme in school *shudder* and one of the teaching points in the first unit I am looking at is that "negative numbers should be referred to as negative 2, 3, 4 etc. except for when reading temperature when they should be minus 1, 2, 3, etc."
    correct? or not so much?
    Cheers! P

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'd agree with the book - always use negative except when reading temperature.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

same, negative except for temp.