1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Needy" posts and posters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

At the risk of being controversial, there aren't half a lot of "needy" posts on here. We all have problems; money, health, psychological (I'll ignore the political). I have some of the above, but I ain't going for faux sympathy, I just get on with it with the family motto "Stoicus et pragmatica" which probably does not translate, but some of you might get the gist. Being of (proper) working class origin and old enough we were just taught to "get on with it" or in todays parlance "suck it up".

Cue backlash.

PS Lost cat does not count, they do their own thing.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Maybe, but I also think the ability to say (or ask) anonymously what one might not say/ask in person perhaps plays an important role in helping some people (at least) cope.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It was the inevitable consequence of shutting down the Opinion forum.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I ain't going for faux sympathy! I don't expect it and I don't give it.

I'm going for practical suggestions on my cancer thread. And I have had loads! As well as emotional support for my emotional needs. Am I needy? Sure am!

Advice, hints, tips! All gratefully received.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Faux sympathy" might be what you see.
    But often a poster in need will start a thread which gives rise to personal messaging about the matter with one or more other contributors, and when that happens perhaps the import of the communication is strengthened.
    It wouldn't happen without an initial public thread that something is going wrong.

"Need" is such a variable. Often it is not based on what is going wrong externally, so you could have somebody being needy because their birthday card got lost in the post, or equally somebody being blase because they are stuck in hospital for weeks on end in pain.

One thing is sure though, for those who are feeling needy, a voice they can reach out to will help, whereas a voice that undermines the fact of being needy might be a voice to avoid.

Perhaps apropos the opening post, that is mutuality. So that's also nice.

6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Oh dear - I don't think I'm needy but this will make me think twice about posting.

Thought about it more and I won't stop posting - OP (and others) don't have to read!!!

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Last time I looked people were allowed to start threads about anything they felt like and the rest of us could choose whether to view and contribute to those posts when and as we wanted to. Your OP is akin to those who moan about tv programmes they hate instead of just utilising the off switch.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ooh look, backlash (thats the other prominent thing on here "attack the poster").

9. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Isn't that actually akin to what you are doing........... attacking the poster/s. If you don't need any help, advice, support or even a good old moan then GOOD FOR YOU!

TCSC47, frangipani123, vannie and 8 others like this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Bite me! I am not attacking anyone. It was an "observation". Perhaps you would like to analyse my psychological condition now?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Maybe you could name some of the posters you consider so needy?

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

You won’t have a psychological condition to analyse. Good old fashioned, ‘proper’ :rolleyes: (as you put it) working class folks don’t have them, they just ‘suck it up’ according to you of course.

Oh dear, are you feeling a bit needy?

13. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Gulp.

smoothnewt likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It’s in the name: Personal.
    It’s an invitation to post on matters personal.
    Nothing wrong with that.

TCSC47, vannie, foxtail3 and 9 others like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

73C03999-4EB9-4479-B899-99BE609B8EF9.png

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm completely unrepentant. And very, very needy. Cancer is pretty personal to me. What with me having it at 3C and being pretty damned scared!

Fear, prospect of imminent demise, anxiety about where it'll leave my wife and pets, pain. Yep. Sucking it up just ain't worked for me. When I thought it was constipation I was OK with it. But it's knocked me for 6!

Needy? You betcha!

caress, Lala24, phlogiston and 24 others like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That would probably in breach of the T&Cs.

Needy posters don't bother me too much, because you can never tell which way a thread will go. Sometimes they drift into interesting areas, providing information you wouldn't normally encounter.

The sort of threads I wish we had fewer of are those about rocky relationships, where instead of getting replies intended to resolve the difficulties, every bitter divorcee gangs up to attack the partner whose voice we never hear.

If I've read a post saying "Clear all the money in a joint bank account into your own bank account, change the locks and get a good lawyer" once, I've read them a thousand times. It's as though such posters never understood what went wrong with their own relationships.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... in many ways the plethora of "opinion" threads are the intruders...

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure what the OP means. Needy posts from established posters? This is "personal" after all. Needy posts from "new posters" who just happen to have joined TES on that very day and start sharing an amazing dilemma? We can all make our mind up about those.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Jesus that OP's depressing...
    Even more depressing is when people have to resort to this place for advice and comfort. Unless you're a recognised poster you're going to be accused of being a troll. Even if you ARE a recognised poster with a legit reason for being "needy" you're going to have emotionally out-to-lunch strangers having a problem with it.
    Peak TES.