1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Needto leave the job and wanting to know the consequences. Help please!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Alice300, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Alice300

Alice300 New commenter

Hi,

my case is the following one: I am a foreign class teacher in an English school, I have been in England for two years and really happy in my post. However, due to personal and family circumstances, I feel forced to go back to my country, but I would like to finish in the best terms with my school as possible. If I want to leave in Christmas, would it be any problem if I resign next week? In the case that I would like to go back to England to teach (something that I plan to do if possible when my personal situation improves), should I expect a good reference from my school? (right now, due to observations and comments, I really think that my headteacher is happy with my work. That's what I fear; spoiling his opinion if I resign in the middle of the academical year and erasing my possibilities of working back again in England as a teacher due to a bad reference).

Thank you so much in advance!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can resign by the end of October to be released formerly with no issue the end of December.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No-one can tell you what sort of reference you might get, I'm afraid - this is because we don't know you and we're not the person who will write it.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Assuming you are working in a state school with the usual conditions of service, you can resign up to 31 October and leave 31 December. (Check your contract if in doubt about the resignation dates - they are different in some independent schools & could be in some Academies).

In your resignation letter you do not have to say why, but given your circumstances, and as you may want to work here again in future, you might want to give more details explaining why you are resigning, thanking the school for giving you the opportunity to work there for 2 years, saying how much you have enjoyed it and that you hope to return to England again one day...Or say all this to the Head face to face when handing in your letter (which could that simply be a basic 'I am resigning from my post at...... with effect from 31 december2015') I think speaking personally to the HT would be my recommendation. You could also ask the HT for support in future (e.g. a reference) should you b able to return to the country.

Given what you say, I can't see why you shouldn't get a good reference....But (if I were you) I'd collect all the evidence from observations, performance management etc that you can before you leave, and take copies with you....

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have replied to this on the other forum where you posted it.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

As it's November 9th, I presume you've already handed in your resignation to leave in December. If not, you cannot legally leave now until March 2016 (end of spring term) providing you hand your notice in by December 31st.
    Remain professional throughout your final weeks because you will be requiring a reference from your workplace and you don't want to burn your bridges!