1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

needs improvement nqt

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mrets, Nov 7, 2015.

1. mrets

mrets New commenter

Hi all.

I graduated with a grade 3 primary Pgce and am an nqt. Currently I'm working in supply but I'd like to start a long term position immediately. Going to interviews I feel like the grade 3 is a big Label that employers can't look past and I think it's unfair. You're always going to be at the bottom of the pack. What sort of schools should I apply for a job in or have a chance of getting. ? Should I go for an agency or apply through schools directly? Any other 3 teachers out there? I feel like I'm the only one. Teaching critiques are harsh- why are doctors not rated the same way??!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

In your mind you are already defeated, since you are focusing on this label and it is now affecting your thinking and therefore your actions. What you now need to do is to try to put this label of grade 3 to the side for one moment and bring your skills and the positive things you can bring to an employer. What things are you very good at? Is it a particular area of the curriculum? Behaviour management? Organisation? Rapport with students? What is it that would make someone hire you? If you can focus on that then that takes away the attention from the level 3 grade you got in your initial training. What have you been good at when working as a supply teacher? What current training have you undertaken on your own initiative. For example, are you up to date with the changes in the primary curriculum? What do you particularly enjoy? Sit down and make a list of what skills you can convince someone to hire you. It may or may not be unfair, but this is the reality you are now facing, so you have to build with what you have and construct your future since you can't change the past. Even with the best grades, it is tough looking for a job.

You have done well to work in supply since although some employers will look down on anyone who done supply, supply teaching is one of the hardest jobs in a school and if you can work at supply successfully that shows you have resilience which is a key requirement for being a teacher.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to just grab any school who will give you a job, since the working conditions in them might make you even more wobbly or stressful. If you have a good relationship with your agency, you can tell them what you are looking for and the kind of school you are looking for. Try to find the best school you can in terms of support and behaviour; good schools are very rare, but if work in a school on supply you are in a good position to weigh up whether or not it is somewhere where you would be happy at. While on supply try to go to as many different schools as you can so you can compare different schools.

To get where you truly want to be may take some time, but if you are young you have time to build up your career and be happy.

You also might want to try posting and reading on the career forum where there are many excellent posts and threads about looking for work ; so there may be something there for your unique circumstances.

Try to stay positive and focus on your new skills and abilities of what you are learning now.

All the best for your new job

Pepper5

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Is it necessary to put what grade you got? You have QTS. No school ever asked me what grade I was as an NQT.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What is a "grade 3" PGCE? I have a primary PGCE and honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Is it a recent thing?

5. Limbo83

Limbo83 New commenter

I really don't think you need to tell the school you finished with a 3. Nobody asks when you apply for jobs or go for interview. Don't allow this to define you. That is just one or a few peoples opinion! NQT is totally different anyway. An inspector told me that PGCE and ITT students shouldn't be given gradings anyway. Good luck!

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

If I have read correctly, you are getting invited to interviews. That means that the schools concerned have already looked at information like your grading and decided that you are a potential member of staff. So the issue lies in the interview or teaching observation instead: perhaps worth thinking about, perhaps getting someone in your current supply school to offer you a practice interview. And remember that if there are four people called to interview, you only have a 25% chance if the selection were to be made at random.....

7. dog_walker

dog_walker New commenter

you have a PGCE which the awarding body considered you to have finished at "requires improvement"..

But you have a PGCE with QTS.. and stood in front of a class that's all that matters

that's all that matters, you are 1 year into what is effectively a 2 year training process...Get in a school through supply and show them what you are and what you are capable of..

My uni wouldn't pass us unless we were "Good".. i just scraped through... I'll soon be outstanding though.. I will get there. :) (think positive)

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It means being RI as a student, rather than good or whatever. They seem to grade students now. When I did my training it was just pass or fail. Everything has to have shades these days, it seems.

9. drek

drek Star commenter

Oh god! horribly unfair if that s the case! No wonder entirely unsuitable people are being promoted to leadership status before they're barely out of their nappies! they must have been graded outstanding by numpties, to please their political masters and beg for handouts.
    I remember one of my pgce classmates nearly left teaching after her first school experience. Her pgce meetings after observations seemed to be a nazi style interrogation in front of the whole department. Scary nonsense.
    Her HOD had a reputation for kicking the most people out of teaching, as a sort of game, nothing to do with teaching skills. ( the school got burnt down by pupils two years later).
    Luckily her second placement had normal people working in it, thanks in part to a sensible experienced HOD.
    NQTs don't have a choice about the schools they are placed in, nor the semi psychos that might be put in charge of them. Some 'in charge' have only been teaching for a year themselves. Student leaders or some such carp.

10. pinkfrangipani

pinkfrangipani New commenter

I didn't realise you had to disclose your grade? I have never been asked once to produce proof of my grade.