1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Needing some advice - SEN children!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Sep 5, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have an SEN child in my new class who has a one to one TA. I have realised the full extent of how far behind this pupil is, he's probably working around reception level while my class are year 5 and the work we are doing is and will be as the year passes, totally inappropriate for him! In Literacy i'm not sure what to do with him really, his TA lacks any independence and looks to me to tell her exactly what to do constantly. I don't think I can sit and plan a whole unit of Literacy work just for him as well as planning a whole unit for the rest of the class- but when we are reading novels- which he can't even sit and listen to what to do i do?! He can't access the normal Literacy planning lol.. I want to include him as much as possible but it just feels really, really difficult and would almost be a better use of his time to get his TA to work with him elsewhere on stuff at his level, but it feels so wrong to just send them off and not very inclusive at all! Is there anywhere I can access planning for SEN children? Or anyone have any suggestions?! Help!

2. Sounds simplistic BUT have you spoken to the SENCO? Ask for help and advice from all of the agencies involved in his ongoing care/education.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I had something similar a few years ago in a Year 4 class. During my whole class teaching, I had the TA working with the boy in the corridor, explaining his task to him (taken from the Year 1 objectives - Literacy and Numeracy) and getting him started. When the rest of the class began the independent work, the TA worked with a group as did I. The boy sat on the table with me or near me so I could provide any support required during the lesson.
    It did require me to use the Year 1 objectives and have a separate plan for him, so it was more work. However, often he needed to repeat things so I could use similar activities over again or one day's activities could actually be spread over to two days. When he had finished his task (or it was all too much for him that particular day) I let him choose cartoon drawing or looking at books.

4. He does need to work on objectives and activities at his level, otherwise he is going to consistently be left behind. I'm a SENCO and would advise a teacher in your position to work as closely as you can with the TA. Ultimately you're the teacher and it's your responsibility - the TA isn't a teacher. If you and the TA can work together to talk about the main objectives he needs to be able to meet, therefore creating an IEP that's really beneficial for him, then she may be more able to then find/develop activities to suit him. Obviously you should involve your SENCO - if the child has 1-1 there will have been additional external assessment by other agencies e.g. educational psychology who may have made recommendations for programmes that should be followed.
    Once you have identified the gaps, e.g. using APP or similar, you can also speak to Reception or Y1 teachers for ideas or examples of planning that could be used.
    I also think that it may well be better for him to have time with his TA one to one for literacy e.g. working on phonics games, computer-based programmes etc which may help him to be more engaged. Then, in the afternoon if you're doing something topic based he could be more involved with the class.
    Hope this helps!