1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Needing Leadership Experience

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by johnnyphonic, Jun 17, 2020.

1. johnnyphonic

johnnyphonic New commenter

Hello

I would appreciate some guidance please. I am potentially looking for a new role owing to not being able to make progress in my current setting. I think it is because I have a limited track-record in leadership and so that prevents me getting anymore. A Catch 22 that I am sure some of you will understand.

Would these qualifications and experience be valuable in your school?

PGCE 2003 Science (Physics)
    Cert Ed 2007 Teaching Methodologies for Dyslexic Learners
    National Award for SEND Coordination 2012
    AMBDA Assessor Practice Certificate for Dyslexia 2019
    17 years continuous experience (Physics lead, great results)
    House Coordinator
    EAL Coordinator
    DofE Assessor
    Minibus driver
    53 years.

Bristol Bath South Gloucester area if possible. Please contact me through here if you would like me to elaborate on any of the above.

Best wishes
    JP

2. install

install Star commenter

It isn’t about qualifications - that is a given.

What makes you a great leader and manager and why has your present school not spotted your potential?

Pomza and Flanks like this.
  3. johnnyphonic

johnnyphonic New commenter

I'm conscious that I'm sounding like I'm whinging. Probably just need a change of scene.

4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I had some really useful advice after I'd applied for a few senior roles without success. An experienced colleague looked over my application and pointed out that I'd spent most of my time describing my experience so far in my career. Especially for a leadership role, it's essential to also talk about what you would do in the advertised role if appointed - you need to lay out some sort of strategic vision of what johnnyphonic, Assistant Head, would actually look like.

sooooexcited likes this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would say decide WHAT TYPE of leadership role you want to focus on and where your interests most lie - subject, pastoral, SEN?

6. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Look at the school leadership standards. Cross reference against what you have done/can do/ your attributes. Use this to create your application.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

How would you develop my school's vision and values even further? How would you make my children leave my school totally ready for the next challenge?