1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Needing a cigarette

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Mar 27, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Ooooo
    I need a fag.

2. RESIST Nelly!!!
    Go and make a cuppa....do something, anything, but don't give in to the evil weed.
    After a few days your lungs will be nice and clean again...(This is what I tell son...)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No, Nelly. You need a dance round the garden.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Tell yourself you won't have one today. That takes the pressure off. Then tell yourself the same thing tomorrow and the day after and so on. That's how I stopped and haven't had one since - March 1988

5. I read somewhere that the craving for a smoke only lasts for three minutes and then it passes.
    They also said that the craving could be satisfied by the act of taking a long drag of pretend fag or air.
    They gave some scientific explanations that I can't remember but it was to do with taking air deep into the lungs. I think they said that you took a shed load of air down when you dragged on a fag but I didn't understand that and didn't want to hear it as I was paying mega dosh for what I thought was nicotine at the time.
    I do remember trying it a few times though and with the thought that the craving would pass very quickly it didn't seem too bad.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You aren't a person who does that cigarette thing. You are free of them.
    Laugh at their nicotiny attempts at temptation and scoff at the tiny wheezy voice of the fag goblin...
    [​IMG]

7. I rea that a person whi fancies a glass of wine only fancies it for an hour, then they get over it. Minutes is a luxury!
    Go for a run! Just run round the block or do the alternate lamp-post thing. Just do anything to give the craving a chance to f-uck off! I should say I'm not old enoughto have had the opportunity to get a habit for anything long-term for me yet but if I did.....

8. see, I could look at women who smoke and thing omg all those wrinkles, but I look at my dad's mother, who has smoked 30 a day after cutting down and think blimey she looks smooth in an almost black way at 80 and then look at my mum who 25 yr's younger is actually pretty wrinkly. I'm going for the geness in which nothing of anything is my fault ever, or yours :)
    PS Is god actually responsible for genes?

9. No, that's Levi.

10. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I still feel I would like, really, really like a smoke many times, not having had one for eleven years. Never shall have another, though.
    When I was quitting for good, one of my children bought me Allen Carr's book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633

It's saved me thousands of pounds and probably given me lots of years of healthy life as well.

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My dad has just stooped smoking at the age of 76 having started at 14. He had no choice because he has early copd. If he carried on he would be dead in 2 years if he stops now he will have a fairly normal life span. He has been fag free for 4 months now and still thinks about cigs all the time and even has a packet on the shelf as a kind of comfort blanket. Yesterday he did a 9 mile walk for the first time in years. Until recently he went in the car everywhere and got out of breath climbing the stairs. It is worth it.
    p.s my kids no longer moan about going to their grandads and the smell on their clothes. My daughter said the other day that it now smelt like a normal house and she can take her teddy next time she goes on a sleepover there because it wont smell.