1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need your help on the teaching of spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by totallyflipped, Apr 21, 2013.

1. I don't know where my argument takes a form that is analogous with that. Perhaps you could clarify? Actually, the last jet I was on was white with a red stripe.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You have an argument?

3. Yes, somewhere far back on the thread from before you started the whole personal vendetta thing. What does your statement about jet refer to?

4. Msz

I started?

5. What was your statement about jet refer to?

6. Msz

it was a reply to your question

7. I wonder which of my many questions you think you are answering. Or maybe I won't wonder. Maybe I'll go and watch paint dry instead.

8. Msz

this one which oddly enough was the post immediately above my reply [​IMG]

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

...And teachers wonder why they've lost respect.

10. Yes. Is there anyone else out there, like me, who would not take people's personal details given on an Internet site anonymously on trust? It's not that I disbelieve what they say, just that I don't see how any valid argument can be based on stuff that's not verifiable. If the argument is to have any meaning beyond chit chat (of course that's fine as far as it goes), it has to be based on stuff that is in the public domain.[​IMG]

11. Msz

Is there an argument? The OP said "Need your help on the teaching of spelling" surely that involves other posters sharing their success stories and experiences not PRRA...

12. I don't know what PRRA is.If you look back I think you will find the thread started with advice from various posters, moved on to discussion and disagreement about various aspects of learning spelling, and then sank to the usual depths. I think readers interested in how best to teach spelling might have been interested in the thread up to about post 71. The OP wanted thoughts about teaching spellings, and got them for 7 pages.

13. Msz

Peer Reviewed Reasearch Articles
    You mean from where you started insinuating that I'm not a teacher?

14. Oh, here we go. I did not insinuate you were not a teacher. I pointed out that it is impossible to know on an Internet forum who the posters are. That includes me, you, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. Incidently, it was where Maizie suggested I was clutching at straws but wouldn't explain why she was saying that.

15. Msz

and I pointed out that I had met maizie on a four day training course so can vouch that she is who she claims but you seem to think there is some circular conspiracy going on ...
    I for one am willing to take posters at face value

16. That's up to you. Not a conspiracy, Msz, just a circle of people known only to each other as posters. As long as they remain anonymous any 'facts' they post are not verifiable. In fact they could identify themselves but if what they said remained unverifiable it still would not really stand up in argument, would it? No need for anything as formal as peer reviewed research, just common sense.'Face value' is an interesting phrase. People on here don't actually have a face value, do they? They are not labelled with their own identity. Or, you could say, part of their face value is that they are anonymous, with all that implies. Taking a masked man at face value would include some uncertainty over their identity.

17. Msz

If you cared to look thumbie you could find links to my school I have posted
    An interesting definition "take someone or something at face value
    to accept someone or something just as it appears; to believe that the way things appear is the way they really are. He means what he says. You have to take him at face value. <u>I take everything he says at face value.</u>"
    which I'm sure you knew anyway

18. Anyone could post links to any school Msz, claiming they worked there. So your links could be of value, depending on the content, but would be highly unlikely to include anything that would prove you worked there. I think it would be inadvisable for you to say what school you work at on here.

19. "Just as it appears". Exactly my point.

20. Msz

and of course you would be very welcome to come to my school and meet me in person ... you could even attend our next phonics training [​IMG]