1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need urgent advice about teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kmrauber, Oct 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kmrauber

kmrauber New commenter

Hi everyone, I want to move to Thailand with my 2 sons and I am now looking at jobs for next year. So far I have seen jobs advertised [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. Has anyone worked for any of these schools? I need to make sure that i choose a location that is a safe area to live in as most of the time i will be alone with my boys. Any help greatly appreciated. Katie M

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You can't name schools here. Edit your post or it will be removed

3. 24hours

24hours New commenter

The school on the hill is a considerable way out from Bangkok but I am led to believe staff live on site. I think all three of those schools are mainly rich thai kids rather than it being truly international. Which may be something to consider for your children

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I know the H school is largely Thai and not expat. Wouldn't bother a single teacher at all but think about how your children may fit in

5. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Since the economic downturn a few years ago, when a couple of big oil and gas comapnies left, many of the schools here are now quite full of relatively wealthyThais, however, one thing that no one has deemed fit to note above is the fact that Thais revere education no matter what the depth of their pockets. The school taking a beating above has many expat kids as well as Thais and the fact that there are quite a few Thais actually makes it more International than say the"British" one which at 2500 kids is basically a glorified dumping ground whose class sizes rise annually while their exams results fall. The exam results and university pathways are second to none for a not selective school.The boot school is new, if it fairs as well as it's cousin from the South Coast then it won't be doing very well for at least a decade or more. The other one is somewhere that has been around for years, has never grown and many teachers move on after an initial contract, make of that what you will. Living arrangements are flexible, some staff are on site whilst others choose to live elsewhere, although a long(ish) way out the Skytrain is arriving next year and, believe it or not, not everyone wants to live near Nana or Soi Cowboy....

All in all not an awful place to work and if you have any other questions.......

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We've just been talking about this change in the demographic at our schools. The American one in Nonthaburi has seen a dramatic increase in local students and their demanding parents which the school is struggling to manage. But that seems to be the same all over the city. My kids are in the minority but I don't care as long as they have a mix of classmates and not a dominant group. So far it's been ok but the challenge is making friends across socio-economic lines and that's been the case no matter what school we're at. The teachers' kids often stick together because they share that common situation. I can't relate to the super wealthy parents either. It is something to consider when choosing a school for you and your kids. Make sure the mix is right.

7. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

I generally agree with the points about the changing demographics of some of the Int Schools in Thailand. A few of the schools have Thai-Foreign ratio quotas, those schools will be maintaining their "expat" (aka economic migrant) quotas. BKK/Thai based teachers here will be able to tell you which schools have such quotas - probably a DM process only.

The original point was about safety, I'm not sure what safety issues the OP is concerned about, but after 6 years in Thailand I can make some observations. The biggest safety issue throughout Thailand is road safety, minimising road travel (esp staying off motorbikes) will greatly improve your safety. If you live in BKK taking the Skytrain or MRT is by far the safest form of transport. Therefore, if you are concerned about safety I recommend trying to live close to your school, or on MRT/BTS lines wherever possible. The next threat to safety can be air quality, particularly in BKK and Chiang Mai (during the burning season). Last year the Government closed schools down for 2-3 days sue to poor air quality. There's no real avoiding the poor air quality (you can alleviate it with filters at home), but this may be a consideration for you re. your children. As for threats such as street crime, home burglary etc - these are certainly no worse in Thailand than in UK, possibly even safer in Thailand (depending on how you live). In my experience it is important to get to know people in your local community, be nice to the guards in your building etc - Thailand works on a village system (even in the centre of BKK), so long as you are on good terms with everyone you will be far safer than if not.

8. kmrauber

kmrauber New commenter

9. kmrauber

kmrauber New commenter

Thanks alot very helpful indeed.

10. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Worked at one of the top tier schools in Bangkok for two years and loved it! Managed to save a good amount and have good holidays and the Thai people are lovely and welcoming. They are very family orientated people too. My friends are still there and due to the exchange rate are on a pretty packet. Happy for you to PM me