1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to rewrite school behaviour policies in light of new Government instructions?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This:

[​IMG]

What do colleagues think?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I think I've always expected my students to face the front and pay attention when I'm talking, leading a discussion, questioning, demonstrating, showing resources etc.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Such innovative guidance puts Mr Williamson at the top of my ' who do I respect most' list. I'm going to spend this weekend embedding this into all my SOWs.

jusch and agathamorse like this.
  4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I think that classroom looks larger than any I taught in (even allowing for a wide angled (?) lens)
    I think that it seems there are about 17 (distanced) spaces for pupils in the class room. I have never taught a class of just 17.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. Morninglover

I did - but only during a short term contract at a private school! (A Level groups excepted as they were often less than 17). I can confirm teaching groups of about 15 is much, much easier than teaching one of 30...

6. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

But as things currently stand, when schools return in September it will be open to all children with no social distancing therefore, conveniently!, classroom size won’t matter. Problem solved! Or is it? If social distancing in society is still recommended, so it should be in schools for the sake of the staff as well as the students and their families.

-Maximilian-, Sally006 and strawbs like this.
  7. Morninglover

I think you can assume that teachers (& other adults working in schools) are regarded as somewhat expendable.

8. lizziescat

It’s illogical, not because of teacher or student welfare*, but why would students who spend 6 hours a day non-distancing suddenly abide by distancing outside of school. In effect abandoning distancing in schools is abandoning distancing elsewhere.

If young people are not distancing older people (their parents etc) are not either because every contact with a non distanced person is a contact with the 30- 40 people they’ve been close to.

* and I’m not suggesting this isn’t important.

9. Catgirl1964

Let’s see what happens with infection numbers between now and Sept. Maybe that will have some bearing on the social distancing rules in schools upon return. Also keep an eye on outbreak numbers in schools with more students now back.

-Maximilian-, strawbs and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The Whitehall wordsmiths will have a good time with the wording of ' social distancing'
    Schools are not essentially ' social ' environments, hence the idea that ' distancing' will not be needed.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Catgirl1964

But it is still a workplace and the government will be well advised to remember that. Any ‘guidance’ for social distancing in workplaces needs to include schools or there will be hell to pay with unions and school employees’ rights to health and safety.

12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The two-metre ' keep your distance' sticker printing business is looking happy as it effortlessly moves on to smaller distances (already printed and waiting of course)

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Morninglover

What if the local cafés don't want to be your reserve staffroom? Are you paying them? And for those teachers who don't drive to school?

blushingberry and agathamorse like this.
  14. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Don't be silly. His school doesn't have a staff room.

15. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

" We'll be providing them with umbrellas and coats to combat the adverse weather conditions and making sure our school insurance policy covers illnesses and accidents which occur off site but during school working hours. We'll provide them all with new mobile phones so that they can contact and be contacted while off site. We'll provide those without cars with a suitably comfortable vehicle in which to sit. "

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Young people - school age and older - round my way never did a lot of social distancing from the start and now have long since given up even a pretence of it. I think the message they've understood from government is that it's all over, just a staged wind down to appease a oldies who worry too much :rolleyes:

jellycowfish and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

His school doesn't have any rooms!

As the school exists only in the imagination of TheHeadteachersOffice I'm surprised it's going to take him so long to imagine how to social distance in it. Simples! Imagine a few more classrooms :D

18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I've just been shouted at to "get away from me for ****'s sake, it's 1 metre" by a young person who was sitting in his car with the window open as I walked by.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. lizziescat

If you were a real head teacher you would know that this is what a number of schools were planning fir when schools first opened and the govt quashed that planning saying that rota ing was not allowed. (and will probably say the same again)

Well you’re already working from home as you have no school.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

No, the government have said all pupils must be in school full-time. They have not said at what times this must take place.

In any event, free schools are not bound by most government edicts.