1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to reapply

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tara196, Mar 31, 2016.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Hi all,

I have taken up post in a lovely school and I feel I have worked so hard to get the class up to speed and on track since january. My contract was only from Jan- July.

My head has told me that the governors are going to put my job out and my head has said send in the same application that you oringinally did.

The 'new' post is permanent. Is this a formality?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not necessarily so, but it looks promising since they haven't told you to improve your application!

I might nonetheless add a paragraph about what you've achieved in the last term, any contributions overall to the school.

Good luck!

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Apply if you are happy to. But don't assume anything. You have the advantage over other candidates that apply in that the Head knows your work and is encouraging you.

4. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Hi Tara. I was in your position in January. I risked leaving my job for a temporary post in the hope that I would get the permanent post when it was advertised. I worked very hard to get up to speed and took on every possible 'extra' and thought I was a shoo in.
    I was a bit disappointed when I applied to see a shortlist of 6 NQTs and me (I'm 176) and felt that all the experience I had been demonstrating had made no impact.
    Despite a clear desire for an NQT I got the job by pulling out all the stops and really clearly and specifically stating what 'extra' I could bring to the post.
    When I asked for similar advice a couple of months ago someone advised that "it was my job to lose" which I found helpful.
    You can do it! But be clear why you are a)proven b) the gaps in provision you have noticed that you can help with.
    Everything crossed for you.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is exactly what I advise older candidates who are depressed at losing yet another job to a NQT! It is up to you to show how you are worth the extra money.

Well done for that, and thank you for sharing this.

Best wishes