1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to know how to apply for teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by shaz2009, Jul 29, 2011.

1. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Hi there,
    I am looking to teach in the middle east in the next two years, I am new to this and not sure how to go about this, can anyone point me to the right direction.
    I have been a teacher for two years now.
    Thank you
    Shaz

2. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Hi there,
    I am looking to teach in the middle east in the next two years, I am new to this and not sure how to go about this, can anyone point me to the right direction.
    I have been a teacher for two years now.
    Thank you
    Shaz

3. First you probably want to do a bit of research into the different countries in the middle east as your lifestyle will vary greatly from country to country. Using the search function on this website is a pretty good way to begin.
    In terms of applying for jobs you can register with a recruitment agency such as Search Associates or Teachanywhere or you can apply for jobs yourself as they are advertised on this and other websites.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Applying for an overseas job is no different than for applying domestically. Search online, see an advert for a post, research the country and school website, and follow the procedure they outline.
    The tricky thing is knowing about the package you have been offered - whether it is good enough to support a lifestyle in that country, what hidden costs/perks (housing/pension/end of year bonus)you don't you know, the room you may have for negotiation (as we aren't used to doing that) - and whether the school is run by professionals or idiots (asking on here is a decent start).
    Don't rush into anything, or you'll end up one miserable teacher, and it is not easy getting back into the Uk job market should you feel you have made a mistake. Choose the right post and you'll have the time of your life and never want to return.

5. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

I am searching on the TES website mostly and havent searched anywhere else.
    I am thinking of either moving to Qatar or Dubi in the next 2 years, I want to be a happy teacher and enjoy my working life, so I am going to be careful and select the right school to apply to.
    I want this to be perm as I know it will be very very hard getting a Job here in the uk.

Shaz

6. Do you teach maths/science (it's just easier if you do, not impossible if you don't)? Are you a Primary teacher? Are you a white, English female? Are you prepared to work in a poor standard school and be patient...
    It's not easy to get a good job overseas as well as in the UK.
    'Search Associates' are the leaders in the field, not the unscupulous shyte speaders at the TES. They will advertise all sorts of cr4p schools.
    [​IMG]

7. I went through an agency for my first. They did a good job for me, found me an excellent job in the Middle East.
    As I love the school that I work in I won't be applying for a while; unless things change, of course.
    Hays recruit for some schools in Qatar. Don't let this stop trying a school directly first.