1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to impress Head quickly!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by kodachrome, Jan 5, 2016.

1. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

I am on a very temporary contract and really need/want to become permanent. Without sounding like Peggy from Hi-de-Hi I feel that my best course of action is to impress the Head teacher through a project. I have already been to various leaders offering my help in areas where I have experience but I have been told that it isn't necessary as they outside agencies etc. Is it really lame to go straight to the head with an email offering to take something on? I have a pretty light timetable.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sometimes the way 'to get noticed' is surprisingly not be 'being in someone's face', but to just be quietly getting on with one's job done to a good standard.
    Those who try 'too hard' are often seen to be doing just that 'trying too hard'.

Personally I would not recommend attracting the attention of the Head in any way,other than doing a first-class job of what you're doing now.

rouxx, sabrinakat, phlogiston and 2 others like this.
  3. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Thanks Lara, couldn't agree more! Am hoping that this will be enough, just wondering if I should go against the grain and be more pro active but instinctively it feels way too 'try hard' and as I said Peggy from Hi-de Hi ( you may not be old enought to remember! Thanks again

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I'm certainly not too young to remember!;) That was in the early days of marriage when we couldn't afford a tv but I did see odd episodes at friends/ parents houses.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

I wouldn't worry about taking on a project, but would just do my job to the best of my ability whilst getting involved in any aspects of additional school life on top of general class such as helping to run an after school club or setting up the stage for the school production.

6. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

No projects so do the job you're paid to (plan, teach, assess) as well as you can. Marking is a BIG thing for most of us at the minute and that is definitely one area you can impress in!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Teach to the best of your ability demonstrating high expectations of learning and behaviour. Fully support the school ethos, rules and policies.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

...and good management WILL notice this, rather than the bells and whistles of trying to pull something fancy off then letting the side down on what you are actually employed to do.

To agree with @therunningman helping out/being a team player will also earn you many points. Quietly and efficiently.