1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to get out.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thatmaninthehat, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Can anyone tell me if there are any repercussions I may not be aware of if I resign without giving notice? What I mean is can they sue me? The stress I am under is killing me.I don't care about a reference and don't want to teach anymore anyway.Please don't mention Unions.

2. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Can you not get signed off work by your doctor for a while? Give yourself some breathing space and get paid? You are stressed dont make any decisions quickly.

Anonymity, pepper5 and chelsea2 like this.
  3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Technically yes they can sue you.
    People on here will say that will never happen; however no one can guarantee that.
    It will affect a future reference. You might not want to teach again but surely you will want to work again.
    If you are ill, get signed off. The discussions following that may lead to you being released early (basically if you make it clear you are going to be off sick til you can leave, they will want you to leave so they can stop paying you).
    A union would help with this but apparently they are not to be mentioned.....

pepper5 and nervousned like this.
  4. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Union have made matters worse if anything and I'm already signed off sick.I suppose I'll just have to give notice then and ask for early release.Thanks for the advice.Not risking being sued on top of everything else so thanks for warning me about that.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

@cheesypop is correct, there is a small chance of them suing you with some extremely nasty consequences. Clearly you are too ill to work. Get signed off and resign. Make it clear that you are willing to leave earlier. Then it is in their interests to agree.

Edit: too slow, so agree with your response to @cheesypop

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I am going to mention unions I'm afraid. Have you spoke to them at regional level? If you are not happy, then speak to Head Office. You are entitled to be properly represented. You pay a lot of money to them, for these exact circumstances. Mine were pretty efficient, but I did need to stamp my feet on a couple of occasions. My previous school would have finished me without them.x

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Try the eyelash-fluttering way first!

"You know how I've been feeling. It's not getting better. Oh, dear. I got so stressed I even missed the half-term resignation date. I don't suppose you'd consider letting me go? Just put it to the governors? I think it would give you more chance of getting some stability back if you knew I was on the move. What do you think? Agree to let me go? Or shall I just stagger on as best I can until the end of July?"

8. antoniogregorace

antoniogregorace New commenter

Dear thatmaninthehat.

You don't need to outline in detail the source of your misery. We all ( or most of us) experience the same feelings as you. Including people such as myself - someone who has worked in a range of senior positions including a lengthy stint as an acting Head. I really do think that the current climate encourages a lot of bullying behaviour which stems from the paranoia about results/OFSTED and so on. There was a time when SLT managed people in a very humane way. I strongly feel that current SLTs across England do not bring out the best in their staff. However it is not the individuals who have become ruthless and cold. The objective reality has changed. I hope you take some comfort from that.

Benchster likes this.