1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to get out.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thatmaninthehat, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Can anyone tell me if there are any repercussions I may not be aware of if I resign without giving notice? What I mean is can they sue me? The stress I am under is killing me.I don't care about a reference and don't want to teach anymore anyway.Please don't mention Unions.

2. sjw3915

sjw3915 New commenter

You can resign and not work your notice, but your head might not give you a reference which you are probably going to need. What you can do is go off sick with work related stress. You could then, when you're off sick, decide to hand in your notice and be off sick the entire time. The only downside is that you might not want stress on your record. However I did exactly that when the head informed me I was taking two classes as they couldn't find teachers willing to teach a very unruly year 6 class. I got a job straight away. My advice, if you feel you can't go on, don't go in tomorrow, go to the doctors, get signed off with work related stress (doctors are very on board with this) and give yourself time to decide what to do. One thing for absolute sure, is that if you do decide to resign, you must involve your union or at least seek their advice. That is crucial.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

My own scenario may help you out, though I'll omit some details for anonymity.
    Last Sunday, I broke down. Couldnt face going to work on Monday due to all the stress well- known to teachers.
    Called in sick on Monday. Went to doctors to get signed off for stress until Easter. Handed in notice on Tues along with sick note. Got in touch with supply agencies and six were biting my hand off to work in april. By friday, i had a ( better) job offered to me. Only temporary until july but could be permanent. And i will be paid on the ups, which i insisted upon.

All supply agencies said that they were turning work away from schools as there were just not enough teachers, including in London. As there are so many teachers like you and me, who have just had enough, it is fairly easy to get another job. The recruitment consultant said that so many teachers are signed off with stress that it does not matter to new employers.The headteacher interviewing me for the new post knew about my illness and yet she still offered me the job over the phone.

Please dont waste your time in a workplace which you know will not improve.it is as a buyers market in teaching at the moment. Good luck

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you but also surprised at the reaction you have found with supply agencies. Neither I, or anyone I know, has had their hands bitten off by supply agencies trying to find them work., quite the opposite.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

i know we're not supposed to mention such factors, as they're not supposed to exist;) but do you think age could be a factor?

6. Jolly_Roger1

Ah! The factor that dare not speak its name. Certainly, I do think age is a major factor in who gets hired and who does not. All the would-be supply teachers I know are in their fifties or early sixties. When I was newly on the scrapheap, I would phone agencies, which were initially enthusiastic to have a potential science teacher. The atmosphere began to cool when I answered the their questions as to whether I had any experience and, if so, how much?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I have always had success with supply agencies. Most of my permanent posts have been through agencies. Im sorry if you havent had the same success, jolly roger.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

sorry to hear this but you MUSTNT just walk away...go to the doctors and get time off for stress then take it slowly as you don't want to get a bad reference and it might also give any future employers some doubts that you might do it to them?

9. Jolly_Roger1

I am glad to hear that using agencies has worked for you. I assume you a wee bit younger than me. I have offers of unpaid work coming out of every orifice but if I raise the question of remuneration, it all goes very quiet.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.