1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need to do topics!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Wotworklifebalance, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Would it not be possible to follow the children's interests but avoid Year 1/2 topics? That should still give you plenty of scope.

2. These HT and SLT's need to go on some good EYFS training!
    By all means come to a compromise but they really should know what constitutes good learning opportunities in EYs!

3. Hiya,
    I am in Nursery and currently follow childrens interests. This has been tricky for some as there was concern about repetition, I have however, ploughed on! I stressed that if my kids were interested in prince/princess type play and asked for a castle role play this was not the same as the Y2 topic 'Castles'. Generally Teachers in Reception and KS1 have been quite happy with this, its SMT who worry about repetiton and what the LT plan says. My long term plan does have topics, bit they tend to be seasonal things/celebrations so I am free to add childrens interests as and when, have no idea if I'm doing the right thing, but it seems to be working for this cohort!
    L

4. We do this and year 1 just make sure that their topic work is extended or take a different viewpoint of the topic. Some topics are easier to repeat as children can really improve on something the second time around. This whole rigid approach is really just an easy way out. If the year 1 teacher can be creative and/or work with the reception teacher then there is a compromise.

5. ihaveaheadache - go to sleep!!!! Your post shows that you were worrying about doing topics at 03:32.
    Go to bed [​IMG]

6. My topics are chosen by the children. They all decided that they wanted to learn about cars, planes, space ships, bikes, ships - so we combined them and all agreed on 'Transport.' The week before the end of term, I ask the children what they would like to learn about and then come up with a topic that fits it all in. I then agree the topic with them before I plan for it. Year 1 and 2 seem oblivious to what we do. All they ask is that we don't cover 3 particular texts as they do them EVERY year with their children. I was thinking about coming away from the termly topics and getting the children to chose a text for each week - basing all their learning around that. Will see what they think at the end of term! We have had comments from other members of staff, asking why all three reception classes aren't doing the same topic (one of the Reception teachers actually often asks this herself [​IMG] ). I just tell them that the 30 children in each class tend to have different interests. Just because the class next door (that are top heavy with boys) want to learn about dinosaurs, doesn't mean my top heavy class of girls want to! (Though I am aware that they picked Transport!) We're quite lucky in that our head lets us pretty much do what we want in Reception. I don't think our staff as a whole have much of an idea about the EYFS, so we're left to it. I actually kind of prefer it that way, because the less they know, the less they can interfere. And interfere they would!

7. Julia - this made my day. Very well said![​IMG]