1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

need to decorate our music practise room

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Apr 9, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Can you put up posters? I realise you have no budget, but it wouldn't be difficult to make some with basic musical elements, notation etc. I can help with ideas if you wish to do this.
    Is the room as tidy as it could be? Don't mean to be rude, but often these rooms can get messy because no-one feels that it is 'their' room and so take no responsibility.
    Does the piano get dusted regularly and are the keys clean? Is the room regularly cleaned by the cleaners, bin emptied etc? What colour are the walls? Would a spring clean make a difference, even if you can't paint them?
    Is there room on a wall for a whiteboard - perhaps there's one in the school that isn't being used. This would not only be a useful thing for the teachers, but would also reflect light.
    Have you asked the music teachers what they would like?
    Be aware - you may find that music teachers using the room have a legitimate cause for complaint if there is no opening window.
    I seemed to have asked a lot of questions, rather than given answers, but hopefully something for you to think about.

2. Previous comments were sensible. Is the room as tidy as it could be? Are resources as disguised as possible maybe a flimsy curtain
    Is it clean? not dusty
    Re decoration can it be repainted bright and light?
    Can you put up a few plastic mirrors?
    Posters maybe bright coloured children singing (kids painting ) or some instruments made from foil and then all framed in cheap acrylic frames which again reflect light
    What about a couple of plants or even a lamp ie same sort of approach youd used in windowless room in home

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

(If there's a sign on the door saying "Practise Room", you might
    want to change the spelling. [​IMG] )

4. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

the room is used to store a lot of stuff and probably isnt as tidy as could be - thats the first job I suppose - it's just irritating that people never keep things tidy.

it is cleaned regularly yes so not dusty or dirty and has been recently painted and re carpeted

i have no budget at all so cannot paint, might be able to buy a couple of cheap plants myself I guess, I like the idea of mirrors and we have a lot of silver foil, maybe some big musical notes cut out and laminated along with some nice big photos of children doing music.

and no there is no sign at all at the moment, thanks for pointing out my mistake!