1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for a musical

Discussion in 'Music' started by berkoga, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Presumedly secondary? What age group?

2. Musicals 101 has some pretty good advice:
    http://www.musicals101.com/puton5.htm
    From experience: Girls schools seem to do Annie and Sound of Music, Boys schools often do Oliver and Joseph. Mixed schools do something like Grease or Little Shop of Horrors.

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

If KS2 or KS3 have a look at Samson Power or Arthur's Knights. Both are really popular and successful. Can hear songs on website www.onemoretime.biz

4. Billy Elliot?

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I very much doubt that Billy Elliot is available for school or amateur performances, given that the professional show is still running.
    High School Musical (particularly the one act version) might work well for Princess Moose. I'm sure she knows that a licence is required for almost any musical, and that even when granted it can be quite restrictive for schools (no cuts, no alterations, no changes to scoring etc).

6. Little Shop of Horrors? It doesn't need a very big band and the music is in a style that cast and band love playing/singing. Not too difficult to play either.
    The Wiz - good fun and funky (and souly and lots of other things but mostly funk!). Might need some support in some sections because some of it's difficult but it's very approachable.
    Um... I've got brain drain at the moment. I'll pop back with anything else I can think of.

7. I very much doubt that Billy Elliot is available for school or amateur performances, given that the professional show is still running.

Schools and youth theatre groups can apply to do a reduced version of Billy. We were successful and are working on it in school at the moment.
    http://www.billyyouththeatre.com/

8. i recommend bugsy! i know it's very male dominated, but you can have a girl gang and a boy gang, so it's fun for all. the songs are nice and simple to learn for the kiddies too [​IMG]

9. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

Not that it will help the OP, but has anyone done the Junior version of Guys and Dolls?
    When we do musicals we usually use piano, keyboard, electric bass and drums. Am I to assume others use bands with reeds in?

10. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

How about We Will Rock You - licence costs £125, band parts and backing tracks available, secondary and primary versions.