1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for a last-minute Birthday meal!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jan 4, 2012.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We are having our elderly neighbour from our old house over for dinner tomorrow night - it will be her birthday. We only invited her this morning when we found out she would otherwise be spending the day alone.
    I need suggestions for what to make for her as a main course - nothing too acidic or too spicy. I was going to make Lasagne but I've made that for her a fair few times...but I am stuck for ideas!
    We'll be having my chocolate and hazelnut cake for pudding.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. egyptgirl

We are having our elderly neighbour from our old house over for dinner tomorrow night - it will be her birthday. We only invited her this morning when we found out she would otherwise be spending the day alone.
    I need suggestions for what to make for her as a main course - nothing too acidic or too spicy. I was going to make Lasagne but I've made that for her a fair few times...but I am stuck for ideas!
    We'll be having my chocolate and hazelnut cake for pudding.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

roast dinner.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I agree a roast dinner, joint of beef if you have one complete with yorkshire puddings etc.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agree on roast dinner, or:
    Shep pie
    Fish pie
    Toad in t'hole
    Boiled gammon, mash, parsley sauce
    A thick, meaty stew with dumplings or cobbler topping or mash
    Cod, mash and peas
    Moussaka, as a change from lasagne
    Pastitsio, ditto

6. I think that it is lovely you have invited her [​IMG]
    I bet she won't be too bothered what you give her. It is your company that is the main thing.
    If it was my dad it would be Shepherds or Cottage pie...he loved it!
    A steak a kidney pie with mash and veg.
    Stew and dumplings
    Fish in parsley sauce with mash and peas
    A roast dinner with yorkshires
    My MIL would love all the above plus macaroni cheese, a nice piece of braising steak with onions and thick gravy.
    I think older people tend not to have too many teeth so anything softish and extremely tender would probably be the best.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I want a roast dinner now [​IMG]

8. Just remembered another thing my parents both liked was corned beef hash.

9. BelleDuJour

yes, but yiu need to source proper corned beef, then cook it slowly then shred it and make hash. Really delicious but none of that tinned ****!

10. egyptgirl

This was my first thought after Lasagne but I couldn't find a joint in the freezer. I went to have a look at what I did have about an hour ago and right on top was a beautiful piece of meat that I had marked 'BRISKET' in big old marker pen and everything. I need to get a grip!!!
    Brilliant ideas, though everyone. You're very, very good! Thank you!

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I've never in my life found the "Proper" corned beef of which you speak on sale. I had corned beef hash made with good quality "tinned ****" for brunch this morning. And jolly good it was, too!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

'This was a good enough dinner, to be sure, but it was not a dinner to invite a man to.'
    - Dr Johnson.

I think corned beef hash comes into this category.

13. BelleDuJour

The proper stuff is to die for and not remotely like the tinned stuff. Worth searching out. Try the internet.

14. I've just been watching the Hairy Bikers and want to try their Homity pie!
    But the roast dinner or shepherd's pie suggestions are probably the best ones.
    You're a kind person to go to such trouble for this lady.

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Definitely! It's something to be eaten as brunch, not for serving to guests.

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Corned beef is just salt beef, Si. It's called corned beef, oddly, because of the 'corn-sized' pieces of salt used when it's dry-cured (it can be brine-cured too), and nothing to do with the cereal. Best made with brisket, to my mind.
    It's not something you see every day in the UK (quite common in Ireland though), but I know from your posts that your butcher is very good and so should be able to get you some or may even make you some with a bit of notice. You can always make your own - all you really need is a lump of beef, some coarse salt and some space in the fridge.
    But - I also agree that there's nothing wrong with processed corned beef for hash (or even in a sanswich with ketchup - one for the 'guilty pleasures' thread!). As others have said though - not a dinner party dish!

17. egyptgirl

Who wants to take bets on deconstructed corned beef hash being a starter on the next series of 'Come Dine with Me'?

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Especially if it was just presented like this on a plate:

[​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

Probably not.......................but it's just not a patch on the real thing!
    And yes, it is salt beef. I buy it and simmer it slowy in the Aga in water with bay leaf, peppercorns, onion, cloves and a small piece on cinnamon Then I shred it an mix with chunks of saute potato and fried onion, then top with a nice fried egg.
    Now that is food of the gods!

20. BelleDuJour

BTW Nick, if ever you go to Cranborne, Dorset you'll find Cranborne butchers does beautiful corned beef and delightful mutton. Well worth a visit.