1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need something to read!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by ladyzelda, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ladyzelda

ladyzelda New commenter

I have just had surgery and I am signed off work for about a month. I really need some suggestions of new books to try. I love Ann Tyler, Barbara Kingsolver, 'Girl on a Train', Doris Lessing.

My head is still a bit foggy, so I don't want anything too challenging but I can't read badly written books!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Philip Kerr, Anthony Horowitz, Sarah Waters, Sunjeev Sahota, Sarah Dunant , Charles Cummings , Antonia Hodgeson , Val McDermid - rarely disappoint I find. Stuart MacBride and Mark Billingham for a bit of entertaining ( crime / thriller / detective ) reading. Not sure if I am being helpful here because I hated TGOTT - have only read AnnTyler ( A Spool of Blue Thread ) which I rated. (Too many very, very, poor 'psychological thrillers with a twist' being published which equate to GCSE in terms of quality imho.)

3. ladyzelda

ladyzelda New commenter

That's brilliant - thank you. That will keep me quiet for a while! I really appreciate your suggestions.

4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Anita Shreve - Fortune's Rocks is my favourite
    Margaret Atwood - any
    Sue Miller - any
    Nicci French for a well written thriller. They're all good
    Susan Hill's Simon Serrailer series
    Ann Cleeves - The 'Vera' series and the 'Shetland' series are well written and engrossing.