1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some reassurance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by getrichquick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I have just levelled my class for reading, writing and maths. The majority have progressed by 1 point score since September (although in most cases, this has meant progressing by a sublevel too.) Some have progressed by 2 point scores.
    I am a little worried as, even though I've checked their levels from this time last year and they all made the same 1 or 2 point scores progess in the same term, I thought they would have made more.
    Also, I think that some of the levels my current class left with in Summer were not quite accurate. For example, one child was levelled at a 3b secure for reading, but when they began in my class, only 1/2 of the APP for 3b had been ticked, and they couldn't meet the rest of the criteria. We weren't allowed to use new assessments to check the grades, we just had to work from the APP and get them up to the levels they were given! So, in effect I have been playing catch up.
    I'm just worried that I will be told they haven't made enough progress for the Autumn term. Does anyone else feel the same?

2. I have just levelled my class for reading, writing and maths. The majority have progressed by 1 point score since September (although in most cases, this has meant progressing by a sublevel too.) Some have progressed by 2 point scores.
    I am a little worried as, even though I've checked their levels from this time last year and they all made the same 1 or 2 point scores progess in the same term, I thought they would have made more.
    Also, I think that some of the levels my current class left with in Summer were not quite accurate. For example, one child was levelled at a 3b secure for reading, but when they began in my class, only 1/2 of the APP for 3b had been ticked, and they couldn't meet the rest of the criteria. We weren't allowed to use new assessments to check the grades, we just had to work from the APP and get them up to the levels they were given! So, in effect I have been playing catch up.
    I'm just worried that I will be told they haven't made enough progress for the Autumn term. Does anyone else feel the same?

3. I think everyone feels the same at this time of year, well I do anyway. I think that the autumn term assessment is always tricky but I also think sometimes you can over analysis assessment. If you look at it for long enough you will always worry that children haven't made enough progress or too much progress. As long as you know you have assessed them honestly and on their abilities not on the abilities we are sometimes pressured into wanting them to have you'll be fine. Having said that depending on the pressures on your school you may be told they haven't made enough progress but if your secure in your assessments you might just have to bite the bullet. Over asssessing always bites you in bum at some point. If you are really worried just look back at your planning and check that you provided challlenege for everyone and use sub levels to aided your planning this term.
    Hope I've helped.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I feel like that often as a Y6 teacher so don't worry, you're not the only one that doesn't think the level you get are entirely accurate.

What is 1 point score though? I didn't think you could work things out that closely.

5. Glad I'm not the only one then!
    We use point scores alongside sublevels, to work out if the child is a secure or lower sublevel. For example, a child at a 3B with a point score of 20 would be a lower 3B, whereas a child at a 3B with a point score of 21 would be a secure 3B. It's a bit of a faff as it's like sublevelling sublevels, but it does mean that assessment is that little bit more accurate.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

[​IMG] SUB-SUB-LEVELS!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The world has finally gone mad. Whoever thought up this madness should be taken out and shot.

8. [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Eh??? How on earth do you see if they have gone up by less than a sub level???? Actually I don't really want to know...doing sub level progress is silly enough.

Worrying is normal. I am one of the most level headed of people I know and the least likely to cry over work. However we had progress meetings on Friday and even I went home and said of my year 6 class "They can't read, they can't write, they can't count and now they seem to have given up being able to behave as well!" and burst into tears. (The class had been horrid for the supply teacher who covered me while I had the progress meeting.) OH didn't quite understand, but made me a G&T!

Seriously no-one ever seems to be learning anything, when you look at test progress, but somehow they do in the end.