1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some positive stories on getting a TA job

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ANNABEL39, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.

I recently qualified as a level 2 TA. I recently posted about Teacher's getting TA jobs as I went for 2 posts where teachers got the jobs. This was a total shock for me and now realise it is quite common! I've become a little despondent as I gave up a job to retrain. I have worked very hard, finished my course early...enjoyed it, did well in my observations. Have had great feedback from tutor and my class teacher. All filled me with confidence and excitement and all I keep hearing now is negative things about being able to get a TA job (from other forums) I feel all deflated.

I'm a bit under pressure as money is getting tight and I really don't want to have to look for other types of jobs. I am 40 in a few months and this is a role I've wanted to do for a very long time now and I refuse to give up without a fight!! I know I may sound a bit dramatic. Just after a few of your stories of how you got into your roles and to be told ' DON'T GIVE UP!!!

2. Hi everyone.

I recently qualified as a level 2 TA. I recently posted about Teacher's getting TA jobs as I went for 2 posts where teachers got the jobs. This was a total shock for me and now realise it is quite common! I've become a little despondent as I gave up a job to retrain. I have worked very hard, finished my course early...enjoyed it, did well in my observations. Have had great feedback from tutor and my class teacher. All filled me with confidence and excitement and all I keep hearing now is negative things about being able to get a TA job (from other forums) I feel all deflated.

I'm a bit under pressure as money is getting tight and I really don't want to have to look for other types of jobs. I am 40 in a few months and this is a role I've wanted to do for a very long time now and I refuse to give up without a fight!! I know I may sound a bit dramatic. Just after a few of your stories of how you got into your roles and to be told ' DON'T GIVE UP!!!

3. It took me a long time and I know how you feel!!! it got to the point where i was sending in 2-3 applications a week had interviews etc but they went to people with more experience etc -- i used to work in a bank!! I started working in my local school voluntary and they soon offered me a fixed term job!!! have not looked back!!! it's hard when you know you can do the job and have got the qualification but cant get in the door to show that!! stick at it and it will happen, good luck xxx

4. Firstly I think you are confusoing your level 2 course with a level 2 TA job... They are not linked. In fact in our LEA you are not a qualified TA until you have done the level 3 course AND then you start as a level 1 TA. Anyway, I can only share my experience of job hunting etc. I am qualified to level 4, and have 2 years experience as a volunteer. I applied for every job that I was qualified for and got an interview for all but 2. They all went to more experienced TAs. I had lots of great feedback, with the general conensus that I need to broaden my experience. (I had been at the same school for all my voluntary experience). So I bit the bullet and registered with two agencies and I now do supply work. It's not ideal, but I get paid a good rate (in part due to my qualifications). Try it - it can only be a good career move. Good luck!