1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

need some ideas!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by happyoverseas, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hello,
    first post ever, although often have a look on here and think about posting replies!
    Due to slightly unplanned circumstances, I have found myself pregnant, living in china with my boyfriend, and unemployed! long story!!
    I can't get a job, or work part-time as i'm only on a tourist visa at the moment.
    Do any of you lovely people have any ideas of what I could do with my time while i'm here... I know I should be enjoying not working, and if I was at home, with family and friends around I'd probably be fine but I don't know anyone here and am getting slightly sick of my own company!!
    I do want to make the most of this time as i'm sure my life is going to change dramatically over the next couple of months, but I would like to be doing something! any ideas would be hugely appreciated!!

2. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

You can do voluntary work on a tourist visa (or at least you could when I visited China a few years ago). I'm sure lots of schools would love to have a native speaker of English to help with students' language skills and you could even make some contacts that would help you get a job in the future. Good luck!

3. Whereabouts in China are you? If you're in Shanghai, I know someone who gives English work to people on tourist visas - dodgy yes, but it gives you money. You can also get a three month business visa where you can work legally, although more expensive than a tourist visa and you don't have to leave the country to get one.
    How about volunteering at one of the dog shelters they have or fostering a dog for expats?
    Good luck! x