1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help please!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Faldamir12, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    We have a 'pre-ofsted' coming into our school in 2 weeks time and on the day in question it will effectively be KS4 classes who will be preparing for their exams. I don't intend to change anything whatsoever, however at the same time I want to make it as engaging as possible.
    I was intending to do a lot of peer/self assessment, exam questions, revision of keywords etc, however it is difficult to get an 'outstanding' given that the revision that we will be doing will be generic in terms of modules studied, rather than focusing on one particular aspect.

Can anyone who has been in this situation advise how they would do it if ofsted were coming in? Sorry for asking...it will be the first time for me! =(

Thanks in advance.

2. I'm not secondary, but have just attended a course about making your lesson good-outstanding in 'OFSTEDs' eyes. Again everyone there was Primary but the course leaders really hammered the point home about PROGRESS- know when we had a subject OFSTED last year a teacher was rated satisfactory as the inspector saw no evidence of progress (in the FIFTEEN MINUTES they were in there!)
    So I guess make sure there are lots of opportunities for OFSTED to see that your pupils are making progress at all times?
    Hope that's of some use!

3. I think it depends on how much value you place on 'pre-ofsted' & the grade they give you. Chances are, a bog standard revision lesson won't get an unsatisfactory, but it may be hard to get a good/outstanding.
    If I was in this situation I'd do exactly what I'd planned to do, only a bit more polished. It's about what is best for the students, and at this time of year Yr11 need to be revising. We recently had 'proper' ofsted & I did a silent assessment with a GCSE class as planned, just did a better starter/plenary. I wasn't seen in the end, but I was prepared to stand by my choice to do what I planned & the students were expecting the assessment.
    It's all well & good proving progress every 5 minutes, but there is more to what we do, I think ofsteds current obsession with progress clouds that. I've found I spend so much time faffing proving progress I don't actually teach that much!
    As for lesson ideas, you could get them to complete an extended writing style exam question, swap with a designated partner, mark them & give a comment & feedback. We have 50min lessons & this would take about 2 lessons to do.
    Hope that helps!

4. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Thank for both for your advice.
    I will do what I set out to do in the first place. I only have 8 lessons left with my group before their exams and can ill afford to waste any time on what may/may not happen.
    As you say it can be a little polished...we will see what happens in 2 weeks time!