1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sarahcapstick1, May 5, 2012.

  1. I went to an interview which I think went well, but I have to wait until next week to find out whether I got the job. In the meantime, I have been invited to another interview at another school, which will be taking place on the same day I'll find out if I get the job at the other school.

    I don't want to turn hd second interview down because I might not get the first job, but, what if I end up being offered both? What should I do? Please help!!!!
     
  2. I went to an interview which I think went well, but I have to wait until next week to find out whether I got the job. In the meantime, I have been invited to another interview at another school, which will be taking place on the same day I'll find out if I get the job at the other school.

    I don't want to turn hd second interview down because I might not get the first job, but, what if I end up being offered both? What should I do? Please help!!!!
     
  3. I'd go along with Eva's plan! Good luck!
    The Sage
     
  4. I would tell nothing to the first school (or the second), just keep your phone off from the morning of the 2nd interview till you get home from it. Once you are at home turn your phone on. There might be a message on it about a job offer from the first job. If you want the first job more, call back and accept it. If you want the second one more, wait till they contact you from there.
     
  5. fantastischfish

    fantastischfish Established commenter

    This would be a good plan, but what if the second job offers her the post there and then on the day? Many teaching interviews make the candidates wait for a decision and then call the person they want through to the office and offer them the job. Not all schools offer you the option of going home and calling you later. I've had a few interviews and two occasions I was expected to wait for the result; in the most recent interview I was allowed to go home, but was then called and asked to pop back to the school to answer another couple of questions (owing to some comments in my reference by my previous head teacher who was an ***). Then I was asked to hang around another few minutes while they discussed my answers again, then offered me the job.
    So you just never know how it's going to go.
    Either way, I'd suggest acting as though both jobs are your first choice. If the first school want you, they will act quickly to secure the best candidate. If not, they will hopefully advise you in enough time to give you a fair chance of accepting the second post if offered.
    Good luck with both! Let us know how it goes.
     
  6. Eva's plan sounds good. Never cancel an interview without having a job offer!
    Also you haven't said if you have a preference for either school. If you like both then there is not really a problem. If you are offered job 2 on the spot you can accept without any reservations. If you then discover you have been offered job1 you can a) feel very pleased that you have secured two jobs in such a competitive market and b) decline politely because although you loved school 1 and would have been happy to work there, you were asked to make a decision on the spot for job 2 and felt in the current market it was prudent to accept.
     

Share This Page