1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by KellyArgent, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am a second year student at University studying Criminology with Law and I intend on teaching secondary RE after I complete a PGCE at York St John University in 2013. As I do not have my speciality subject at anything above a GCSE level, I am currently studying a subject enhancement course from Keswick Hall in different religions, and I also want to complete the Subject Knowledge Enhancement Certificate Course from CPD4RE before I graduate.
    Another thing that I intend to do is gain teaching experience in a wide range of mediums. I have contacted my old secondary school and have work experience beginning soon in the RE department, and the second thing I have thought about is teaching English as a foreign language online to boost my teaching experience.
    For this, however, many learning providers tend to favour candidates with TEFL qualifications. Since learning this, I have applied for and have been offered a 50% scholarship with The English Language Centre (CIC) for a place on their flagship TEFL Diploma Course. As the scholarship is not for the full tutor amount, I would still have to pay £250, and as a student saving up for a house of my own I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to how useful/appreciated this qualification and the skills I would gain from it would appear to future employers in the UK before accepting the kind offer.

Thanks in advance

Kelly

2. Hello,
    I am a second year student at University studying Criminology with Law and I intend on teaching secondary RE after I complete a PGCE at York St John University in 2013. As I do not have my speciality subject at anything above a GCSE level, I am currently studying a subject enhancement course from Keswick Hall in different religions, and I also want to complete the Subject Knowledge Enhancement Certificate Course from CPD4RE before I graduate.
    Another thing that I intend to do is gain teaching experience in a wide range of mediums. I have contacted my old secondary school and have work experience beginning soon in the RE department, and the second thing I have thought about is teaching English as a foreign language online to boost my teaching experience.
    For this, however, many learning providers tend to favour candidates with TEFL qualifications. Since learning this, I have applied for and have been offered a 50% scholarship with The English Language Centre (CIC) for a place on their flagship TEFL Diploma Course. As the scholarship is not for the full tutor amount, I would still have to pay £250, and as a student saving up for a house of my own I was wondering if anyone could give me advice as to how useful/appreciated this qualification and the skills I would gain from it would appear to future employers in the UK before accepting the kind offer.

Thanks in advance

Kelly

3. I wouldn't bother if you're not that interested in actually being a TEFL teacher. Lots of PGCE students do have TEFL type qualifications, but certainly not all. I don't think universities favour them particularly as it really is a different kind of teaching. If you want to be a school teacher in the UK then I would concentrate on getting lots of experience in schools as a volunteer.

4. It is good to see that you are planning to teach RE at secondary level and are already organising your school experience and taking a subject enhancement course. These are very important factors in strengthening your application to teacher training.
    Your decision on whether to take the TEFL qualification would depend on how interested you are in this area of teaching and whether this might be an area you may like to pursue. All relevant qualifications will enhance employment opportunities but TEFL training and teaching, although sharing broad similarities, are significantly different from the PGCE and teaching in schools.
    You would need to decide how much you would enjoy and benefit from the course. You could ask if you could sit in on some classes to inform your decision. Good luck with your future teaching career - you seem to be very well organised in your forward planning.

Stephen Hillier, TDA