1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kyrabeth, Dec 7, 2011.

1. My maternity cover contract finishes in April and theres no sign of any other jobs around. I finished my PGCE in July 2010 and have had 3 temporary teaching posts since then and managed to finish my NQT year.

Every time i go to interviews, i always seem to be the second choice and am now feeling so disheartened.

How can i get the strength to keep going? I need a job or im going to lose my house but theres just nothing around. Im running out of ideas or belief that im ever going to get a permanent job.

HELP!!

2. My maternity cover contract finishes in April and theres no sign of any other jobs around. I finished my PGCE in July 2010 and have had 3 temporary teaching posts since then and managed to finish my NQT year.

Every time i go to interviews, i always seem to be the second choice and am now feeling so disheartened.

How can i get the strength to keep going? I need a job or im going to lose my house but theres just nothing around. Im running out of ideas or belief that im ever going to get a permanent job.

HELP!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well the good new is that the usual 'job-hunting time' starts around March- though who knows if anything's 'normal' at the moment! Personally I've not experienced this to be 'job-hunting season', yet just look at the numbers of people posting interviews or 'I got the job! Also the usual plethora of jobs around March-May didn't happen earlier this year either!
    Another plus is that you've managed to complete induction, so you'll still be cheap, yet not need the support of reduced timetable that an NQT would.
    I think you just have to keep applying- many of us are going for LSA/ CS whatever, to at least stay in education and so there's fierce competition therre too!
    Sorry can't offer better advice.

4. Im just running out of inspiration. Hate trying so hard yet getting no where. Even heard off one of the student teachers here today that one of her friends got asked how she felt about families and how important having a family was to her in an interview, so being female and maternity is a big factor.

I just want to get on with my life because at the moment it feels like my life is on hold until i can get some job security.

5. I found this too Lara, with far more jobs being advertised from September - now than usual. It was really tough in the summer term, job-wise, as there were so few jobs around!

6. So i've got no hope of getting anything from easter then :(

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not neccessarily, maternity leaves can crop up anytime.

8. How do you stay so positive? I just feel a mess, my life is on hold, the constant application process and interviews make me drained. Im 25 have never had a permanent job and still have debt from uni that i just can't pay off. I can't even move abroad to teach as i have too much debt.

9. If you applied to a country that is tax free then you could be financially in a good situation, especially if you let out your home. I would not let debts in the UK out you off. Your more likely to pay them off if you move abroad.

10. out = put

11. This is completely illegal and the school who did it should be reported as it could be a form of discrimination.
    I got temporary contracts for one term after Easter two years in a row. It is possible, but it's hard work!

12. I know it's illegal but its probably a factor in the decision making, whether they mention it or not