1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice..... Teaching in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TexanTeacher2013, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

I am interviewing with a school tomorrow. I'm super excited, but also nervous. I've read about the dodgy chains and all the "beware" advice on the TES discussion boards. I'm interested if anyone has ever worked for or heard of [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] They have campuses in Beijing, Hangzhou, Shenzhen, Thailand, and a few other places. @hippo I know you are a legend here and know all things China. Maybe you can help.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@TexanTeacher2013 you can't name schools here so your post has been deleted - I've sent you a PM so please reply and I'll try to help!

3. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

I will PM you.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello. Yes, of course I will help, if I possibly can. I have sent you on of those TES Conversation things.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Some questions I would find answers for;

1 Who is in charge of the school, is the Chinese partner in possession of the red rubber stamp?

2 What nationalities are the students or is this a Bilingual School for Chinese Nationals only?

3 Will there be any boarding duties in the evening and at weekends?

4 What is the turnover in staff?

I would pay for the subscription to the International Schools Review and pay attention to what is written about the Education Business in question.

6. tianjinjustice

tianjinjustice New commenter

7. TexanTeacher2013

8. TexanTeacher2013

What is the red rubber stamp? I apologize for my ignorance.

9. TexanTeacher2013

Great advice.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Some schools may appear to be run by the western principal but they are a puppet to a local owner.