1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice please...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by islandme, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I have a job interview in about 5 weeks time at my placement school - I'm a trainee. I REALLY want the job, so much so that I have not been going to other interviews in the area, because I want to wait and see what happens. I was told not to go to an interview unless I was prepared to accept it, especially in a small county where Heads meet often.
    My HoD has been behaving in a way which has led me to believe that I have a good chance of getting the job, at one point he actually said 'When you're working for us next year', and said he 'didn't want to lose me'. Other people who I have mentioned this to have said that this is really unprofessional of him, as it's not his decision as to whether I get the job, it's the heads/dep head.
    I don;t know how interview pannels work, who has the most influence? The Head? The HoD? Governers? I recently pulled out of an interview at a school near by, and now I'm feeling really stupid, like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket for something that could fall flat on it's face.
    Would appreciate some advice.
    Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't really unprofessional of him, but you do need to be a bit careful who you tell. Not everyone will want to hear it.

When I was HoD in secondary and middle schools I was on the interview panel for posts in my dept. I had as much say as the next person, though the HT had a casting vote should one be needed.

You are putting all your eggs in one basket in a way and yes you could fall flat on your face. However if that is the school you want to work in then it will be worth it when you get the post. 5 weeks is a long time to wait between application and interview!

There will be lots and lots of jobs in the summer term, so it won't be the end of the world if you don't get this one.
    Best of Luck!