1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on using Access/Networking

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by matt.rutherford, Mar 10, 2012.

1. So I'm guessing that you are wanting to have Network information stored in an Access DB? This could be fun :)

You could have one table which stores information on the key components, with what they are and where they are used and what they are "linked" to; you could use Data Validation in this section and create a Lookup Wizard with information in it.
    You could have a query based on user input (on criteria use =[ for a box to appear for them to put in what they want to search for), based on a type (so infrastructure, network interface etc).
    You could have reports created of the queries - could even go so far as to add customisation and get them to create a logo for the report
    You could create a form for data entry which could have some fun macros on

Have some fun with this! :)

2. Thanks for you input Matt...just need to learn how to do all of the above by Tuesday!!!!!

3. Which version of Access does your school have? If its 2010 I've got some resources I can send you :)

4. I am a bit confused as I do not see what your scheme has to do with Access (assuming you mean the Microsoft Database product). It is probably a good idea to keep the two seperate.

5. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Agreed! Networking is communications & h/w. Access is application software. Teach both individually and then, and only then link the two together.

6. Yes this will be the case. My first step is to get them to produce an Access database. I've looked at some of the resources on TES. Quite like the idea of producing a Top Trumps DB. They have to produce a report that demonstrates good awareness of the audience and purpose. At first I thought this might mean create a report in Word but I think it means a report from within Access??? Excuse my ignorance but how can a report within the software show this information? Please can someone provide me with an explanation? Thank you.

7. I think it means pour out waffly trendy drivel...... you would have to use Word.

8. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Just TEACH it!
    Do they know how to use MS Access? Do you? If not you need to learn the basics quickly.
    Anyway... enter data, create a select query, create a report based on the query. Job done.

9. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

Am I still missing something?
    Access Databases have nothing whatsoever to do with Networking.
    I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would teach the two things together??
    Maybe Im being harsh but where in IP addressing, packet sending, OSI, router tables, wifi config 802.11 etc do you find the need to use an access database?