1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need Primary Teacher Advice

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jaffaberry, Jun 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jaffaberry

jaffaberry New commenter

My son currently attends a small primary school and is currently in a year 3/4 class. Have been spoken to by the head and told they are restructuring the classes and his new class will be going Y4/5/6 from September. However, due to numbers, a couple of the children will have to move to the Y2/3 class which they will call a Y2/3/4 class but the majority of the class will be Y2 & Y3 and there will only be about 3 Y4 children in that class. They have told me he is one of the ones to stay in that class with the younger year groups as he struggles, which he does because he is dyslexic!

AIBU to think that this is a horrendous move that will destroy any self esteem he still has or am I just being an overprotective Mama bear whoe doesn't want her son hurt?

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I'm not a primary teacher but I was one of those children moved to the 'lower' class.

We had mixed classes in primary school and I was one of the children who was put in with the younger group. It was done on basis of birthday, which makes sense, i think. It did me no harm. I did well at school throughout, both in the mixed groups and later in secondary. Don't worry about it.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What would be your proposed solution?

They could put all the year 4-6s in the same class, but then it will be a larger class, and presumably the worry is that a child like your son might not get the help they need. Would you rather he was in a class of 33 or 25? (Obviously I don't know how the numbers pan out, but I suspect the year 2-4 class will be smaller.)

Where it's done strictly on age, that does remove any sense of "not good enough"; that is more difficult if he's not the youngest. Find ways to make it positive - a friend in year 2 he'll be with, being one of the mature responsible ones rather than in a class with the year 6s,...

If he is stronger in maths, say, it would be worth asking how they will ensure he is given the same experience for maths as his peers in the upper class. It may well be fine - teachers in small schools are used to differentiating widely, or they may even be looking at having maths at the same time so they can make the odd swap then.